1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Able primary 2 child

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by gem_1983, Apr 18, 2011.

1. I have a child in my top reading group (primary 2) for whom it is becoming increasingly evident that extra challenge is required in reading, writing and spelling. I am looking for some ideas of extra activities that I could provide to give her the extra challenge she needs.

Thanks

2. Would it be possible to set up a paired reading time for her with an older child in the school? Even once a week would be beneficial? I find that if you even pair a child with an older child say in P6/P7 who has low confidence in reading they like teaching the younger child and improve their own reading at the same time. Speak to other teachers in the school and see if there is someone who fits the bill?

3. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Take a look at the Highland Literacy Project website - http://www.hvlc.org.uk/hlp/
    If you scroll down slightly, you will see some links in a turquoise box on the right.
    I had a very able boy when I taught P2 and used the "Follow Up Tasks for P1-P3" and for P3/4-7 in the Core Reading section.

4. Thanks very much everyone for your responses. She still reads as part of a group rather than as an individual. I already have another child who reads as an individual because her reading is at a level far beyond the rest of the class, and this other child is somewhere between her and the rest of the group! We only use the Ginn All Aboard and ORT reading schemes. I will definitely try out these ideas, thanks!