1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Able mathematicians

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mossah, Jul 20, 2011.

1. We have some very able mathematicians (G&T?) across the school and the proposal is that once a fortnight a working group of yr3 - yr 6 pupils will work with a teacher (me!) to explore and extend their maths knowledge.
    I have some ideas (measuring the school and grounds, including height of buildings, making a profit from an enterprise(cake stall), exploring patterns in nature) but wondered if any of you wonderful people out there had any good suggestions/websites (looking at nrich as a first step).
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. We have some very able mathematicians (G&T?) across the school and the proposal is that once a fortnight a working group of yr3 - yr 6 pupils will work with a teacher (me!) to explore and extend their maths knowledge.
    I have some ideas (measuring the school and grounds, including height of buildings, making a profit from an enterprise(cake stall), exploring patterns in nature) but wondered if any of you wonderful people out there had any good suggestions/websites (looking at nrich as a first step).
    Thanks in anticipation.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. char2505

char2505 New commenter

CAke stall sounds like excellent idea - they could look at proportionality by upscaling recipes to make larger amounts, work out how many cakes could make from x bags of flour, do costings, market research leading to pie charts and graphs, calculate net and gross profit...
    Sorry, I know I haven't actually provided you with a new idea there!
    Could they work out who the 'average; person in the school is -hieght, eye colour, gender etc?