1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ability to teach ICT

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by SimonEdwards23, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm starting a Business Studies PGCE in September and after looking at some advertised posts it seems that a lot require the ability to teach ICT. Would anybody have any advice as to what I could do to improve my IT skills? My degree had IT elements but i'm not sure if this would be enough to gain a position. Are there specific course you can attend perhaps? I would really prefer to teach Business or Economics as my IT skills are not amazing. Are there many opportunities these days to teach just business or is it being merged with IT?
    Thanks very much

Simon

2. Hi Simon
    I've been teaching for 15yrs and have taught a combination of all Business at KS4/KS5 and in other schools a mix of KS3 ICT and KS4/5 Business.
    My Business Studies PGCE ended up being in schools where Business was taught in computer rooms. I ended up keeping one step ahead of pupils for the first few weeks when I was in school once a week, twice a week etc before the main block of seven weeks. I like teaching KS3 ICT but hate GCSE ICT. The main thing to do is watch what the techer your observing does before you have the classes yourself. Go onto www.teach_it.com, have a look at the lesson plans work through them yourself.
    Hope this helps, good luck with it all.

3. Thanks very much for the advice. I'm having a look at the specifications so I hope I can stay one step ahead!

4. The web site I use is :
    http://teach-ict.com/
    You may find useful resources to help with the spec.