1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aberdeen PGDE applicants?

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by star_, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Hey,
    Just wondered if anyone has applied to Aberdeen? I've applied for the Primary PGDE but to be honest I don't think I stand a chance in hell of getting in, especially due to all of the cutbacks in trainee numbers. Although to be honest I'd much rather be rejected from the outset than invest time/money into training then come this time in two years be unable to find a job after the initial year!! So in short, I'm trying not to get my hopes up at all even though I really want to do it!
    I'm not really expecting anyone to have heard back from them beyond the initial "thank you for your application" letter as it doesn't seem like any of the Scottish universities have really responded yet with interviews etc. It's so annoying as in the English applicants forum loads of people have offers or at the least interviews, and its the same on another forum I use - all of the people who applied when I did (mid October) to English universities have at least heard something about an interview and most have offers now whereas everyone in Scotland just seems to be waiting!
    I'm also considering applying to Aberdeen for a regular Masters course but I don't know whether to wait until I've found out the outcome of the PGDE application as you can apply for the other course until the summer. I'd much rather do the PGDE so I don't want them to get my other application and think I've given up on teaching/would rather do a regular Masters course as I assume they're aware of whether or not you have other applications being considered within the university. At least, this is the case at undergrad level.
    So yeah... anyone else want to join in with my waiting game? :eek:)

2. Hey,
    Just wondered if anyone has applied to Aberdeen? I've applied for the Primary PGDE but to be honest I don't think I stand a chance in hell of getting in, especially due to all of the cutbacks in trainee numbers. Although to be honest I'd much rather be rejected from the outset than invest time/money into training then come this time in two years be unable to find a job after the initial year!! So in short, I'm trying not to get my hopes up at all even though I really want to do it!
    I'm not really expecting anyone to have heard back from them beyond the initial "thank you for your application" letter as it doesn't seem like any of the Scottish universities have really responded yet with interviews etc. It's so annoying as in the English applicants forum loads of people have offers or at the least interviews, and its the same on another forum I use - all of the people who applied when I did (mid October) to English universities have at least heard something about an interview and most have offers now whereas everyone in Scotland just seems to be waiting!
    I'm also considering applying to Aberdeen for a regular Masters course but I don't know whether to wait until I've found out the outcome of the PGDE application as you can apply for the other course until the summer. I'd much rather do the PGDE so I don't want them to get my other application and think I've given up on teaching/would rather do a regular Masters course as I assume they're aware of whether or not you have other applications being considered within the university. At least, this is the case at undergrad level.
    So yeah... anyone else want to join in with my waiting game? :eek:)

3. Hi Star,
    I have applied to Aberdeen for this year too. I've had the initial letter but now will just have to wait and see I guess. I have friends in Wales who applied to GTTR after I did but they have had interviews and offers already. Scotland does seem to wait much longer before interviews etc. I'm thinking i'm going to have no hair/nails left by the end of the application process. After reading posts on here just now, I hope we're not left waiting too long. Apparently it's so much harder to be considered by your second choice if it's too late as they may have filled their places :eek:( Fingers crossed for both of us :eek:D

4. Hey,
    It's good to know that someone else is waiting! I hate seeing that other people have interviews, offers or even rejections when all I've done thus far is fill in a form giving details of my degree modules and that was several months ago! Like you, I'm trying to do is put it to the back of my mind and get on with life as I've now convinced myself they won't offer me an interview let alone a place. I have a lot of friends in England who all have offers, or have been rejected and are onto their second choice university which doesn't seem fair.
    Before I applied to Aberdeen I emailed to ask when the interviews would be taking place, and they said they run from January until March... so hopefully we will find out one way or the other soon, as I'd assume they have to give you some time to prepare! I'm now slightly worried as I just checked on gttr and it says that Aberdeen have no vacancies for their primary course, yet providing the information I was given was correct, they've not actually had any interviews yet! So how can they be full? This has just made me think that I am waiting for an imminent rejection because they haven't contacted me!
    Ah well I suppose it means I don't have anything (supposedly) to distract me from doing my degree, whereas if I'd been given information about an interview I'd be preparing for that when I was supposed to be working. What are you doing at the moment?
    :eek:)

5. I got an email from Aberdeen Uni today - I have an interview in January!

Hopefully everyone else will hear soon xx

6. Ooooh congratulations Laura.....hope it goes well :eek:D Fingers crossed then that I hear something (good or bad soon) xx

7. I'm SO impatient so I'm glad I've heard now (before Christmas)! I got an email saying a letter had also been sent today. I don't know what kind of order they look at applications but I submitted mine in the last week of November. And my surname starts with D. So I have no idea how they look at them! Post might take a few days due to busy time of year so keep your fingers and toes crossed!

8. I'm so impatient too as everyone i know seems to be getting interviews and then offers or atleast an interview. Would be nice to know either way so don't have to worry about it over xmas...i don't normally have that luck though. I applied in Oct and my surname starts with C so on that premise i'm dreading a no thanks letter :eek:( Was the email sent to your personal email or to the apllicant portal thing? God i'm gonna stress now :eek:s Atleast you can plan over the holidays x :eek:D

9. I had an interview offer two days ago too - they sent an email to my personal email address and then also sent a letter in the post. You can't really plan though as it says they're not going to give us the presentation topics until a week before so over christmas you can only prepare for the interview! Hope you find out soon - perhaps they're doing it in batches?

10. Hey guys,
    I got a letter asking me to attend an interview on 13th Jan. Prior to this, when I called asking when we'd hear back from them, they said they were sending letters on the 15th, 16th and the remainder would be sent in the New Year. So don't be disheartened if you've not yet received anything!
    I had been told that this year they were doind away with the presentation... Gutted!
    Is anyone else feeling nervous already? And does anyone know how many applicants will be accepted this year?
    Cheers, guys!

11. The presentation seems like an odd mode of assessment - from what I've read on here it seems like you basically do a talk on a given topic, I thought it'd be a little bit more hands on in terms of testing your abilities as a teacher and how you'd deal with a classroom setting because it doesn't seem like the interviewers take on the roles of the students etc. But ah well, we can only wait and see I suppose!
    The letter said that the number of places hadn't been confirmed yet so they don't know how many they're taking on although I'd assume they've got a vague idea for how many they want to interview etc given they're only doing two days of interviews - the final intake must be predicted to be fairly low I'd assume given they're not group interviews!
    I'm not nervous at the moment, I want to know what the presentation topic will be though because then it will seem more real.
    Well done on getting the interview - we might see each other there as I'm on the same day as you!

12. Fantastic! Although I'm really excited about the interview and the potential of being on the PGDE, after reading (and reading, and reading...) about the unemployment rate which is now worrying me more than any interview.
    I've so enjoyed doing my work experience and I really want to teach but I can't help feeling that it may not be the safest career choice at present. You know what I mean?
    Congratulations to you on the interview, also. What time is yours?
    I moved down south after I graduated this year and really miss Aberdeen, can't wait to get back!

13. Same - I keep reading and reading about the unemployment issues (and scary threads on here about people being bullied by senior teaching staff whilst on placement etc) and thinking do I really want to do this?? But I'm trying not to let it put me off! Hopefully the cuts in numbers they're taking on this year will mean that it isn't as bad as it could be for getting a job.... I don't know, but at the same time it isn't as though getting any form job is easy at the moment so its as broad as long.
    I loved my work experience though, I've done so much with kids over the last few years whilst I've been at uni but this was the first time I'd properly been in a formal school setting for a couple of years so it was really exciting to try it out and it made me realise how much age helps. I mean, I'm 21 now so I'm not old at all but I was going to do primary at undergrad then decided to do a normal degree to keep my options open and I felt much more confident, sure of myself and relaxed with the class this time around than I did at 18. It was cool feeling like a real teacher! :eek:)
    I'm just rambling now.... I stay in Edinburgh so Aberdeen will be a new adventure for me but I've got a few friends up there which is why I opted for Aberdeen as if I'm moving somewhere new for a year I'd rather go where I've already got a "social network" than starting totally afresh. So you did your undergrad there then? I've heard its a really good city, my friends love it!
    Have sent you a PM too.

14. berecs

berecs New commenter

Hey guys, I've also been invited to interview at Aberdeen, on the 13th Jan. I did my undergrad there, have a lot of friends there and want to go back!
    I'm currently worrying about the interview. My friend did it (and got in) last year, and she said it was ok and that it doesn't last too long. Doesn't help the fear though!

Anyway, I just thought I'd say 'hi' and possibly meet you at the interviews (will go around asking who posted on TES website!)

Good Luck!

15. Has anybody started preparing for the interview yet? It's a shame we wont find out the presentation topic until a week before!

16. berecs

berecs New commenter

I know, my friend got told the presentation topic when she got her invitation to interview, so they've changed that this year.

I have had a think about what kind of ques they might ask me.

17. If anyone is interested there is a MASSIVE thread on here somewhere (I think in the English equivalent of this forum, the Prospective Student Teachers one) with lots of possible questions. It's worth a look over and having a think about.

18. Hey all,
    I also have interview on the 13th and am sharing all of your worries! Im glad to hear that it supposed to be quite short tho, from other uni's I''ve read about it can be quite long winded I think! A v long shot I know but I don't suppose any one is travelling up from England (south west/mids) to attend? I am in Cheltenham at mo (relocation was delayed argh!) and struggling to find a way to attend without having to get a bank loan lol! Any advice would be gratefully received! Thanks :) and good luck to all!

19. I have also been invited to interview at Aberdeen on 13th Jan.... how many of us altogether? They can't be interviewing that many people if they're only doing it over 2 days and they don't appear to be group interviews. We should keep each other posted once we get our presentation topics next week.

20. I guess nobody has heard from the uni yet re: presentations? If you're not in Aberdeen and you'll be traveling a fair distance to get here I would speak to the uni this week to see if they want you to travel - the weather is nuts here!