1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ABC Skills Book

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by scarfandhat, Dec 15, 2019.

1. scarfandhat

scarfandhat New commenter

Has anyone read continuous provision - the skills by Alistair Bryce Clegg? Is it worth buying?
    I am also looking at buying the range of ‘50 ideas for’

thanks!

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Have you exhausted things like Pinterest first? I haven't read the 50 ideas books but I imagine some of them are not entirely unique..

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

The ABC skills book is ok although quite expensive, but sometimes you can pick one up second hand.
    The key point is that your continuous provision should grow with your children and so continue to extend skills. So in your sand play for example, you look at different tools for scooping and pouring that fit the development of different muscles. So how you use a spade is different to how you use a ladle etc. If this helps you reflect on your provision then it might be worth it.

I bought a few of those 50 ideas books and found them useful but that was long before internet explosion. If you find yourself stuck for ideas to develop then they do give you a starting point but if you're happy searching Pinterest etc then do that instead.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I like some of the 50 ideas books. I have a fair few and use some more than others. I like the fact they have some explanations and so on, which you don't always get on the internet. However, if you are a very experienced EYFS teacher, they probably aren't a lot of use, but for a beginner they are great.

I bought ABC's 'Best Practice in Early Years' the other day, but have only flicked through it so far. It seems to be a similar idea to skills in CP, so if you have one you may not want the other????

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It is an interesting read. The book is A4 sized but only 72 pages (about 3mm thick), and has a lot of photos, so it is quite an easy read (good for this time of year!). I'd recommend it, especially if you can get a second hand copy (or if any friends or family are asking what you want for Christmas...).

The book referred to by the previous poster - "Best Practice In The Early Years" - is a smaller but thicker book with just text (no photos). It is also a good read but has some similarities with other books he has written (perhaps unsurprisingly) - it's more an all-in-one overview to his teaching style and ideas, whereas the ones published by Featherstone are more specific to one aspect of teaching and include photos and practical examples.

"From Vacant To Engaged" is my favourite ABC book. "Getting Ready To Write" has lots of great ideas about early years mark making and writing skills - I'd recommend that one too.

There are a lot of books in the "50 Ideas For..." series, so you'd probably want to pick one or two that seem most useful, and see how you like them. I agree with the comment above that they are great for someone starting out in Early Years, and there are likely to be a few new ideas for the more experienced teacher too, although probably not enough to be worth paying full price.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ditto to both of these!