1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ABC Does,,,,Synthetic Phonics

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by teejay100000, Aug 6, 2011.

1. http://abcdoes.typepad.com/abc-does-a-blog/2011/08/the-teaching-of-reading-and-phonics-debbie-hepplewhite.html

When I critiqued his blog on early reading he deleted my post. But to give him his due he has allowed Debbie Hepplewhite her sayon his almighty blog and she is equally critical, but probably a little more diplomatic than I was. And, of course,she is now backed by OUP, the leading educational publisher bar none. Useful people to have on board when, like ABC, you are trying to build a consultancy career.

"Some of the methods I used to teach reading were less like 'strategies' and more like old wives tales!", he now states. "When I think about some of the ways I used to teach reading and spelling my toes curl (just a bit)! "

Well good. Your toes should be curled. Your "methods" should be consigned to history. You should not have pretended to your followers that you knew best. You should not have persuaded "practitioners" to part with taxpayers' hard-earned cash for you to spout this tosh. You should have done your research. Your should have put in the work. You should have become knowledgeable before you advised others. You should be ashamed. You should apologise.

2. http://abcdoes.typepad.com/abc-does-a-blog/2011/08/the-teaching-of-reading-and-phonics-debbie-hepplewhite.html

When I critiqued his blog on early reading he deleted my post. But to give him his due he has allowed Debbie Hepplewhite her sayon his almighty blog and she is equally critical, but probably a little more diplomatic than I was. And, of course,she is now backed by OUP, the leading educational publisher bar none. Useful people to have on board when, like ABC, you are trying to build a consultancy career.

"Some of the methods I used to teach reading were less like 'strategies' and more like old wives tales!", he now states. "When I think about some of the ways I used to teach reading and spelling my toes curl (just a bit)! "

Well good. Your toes should be curled. Your "methods" should be consigned to history. You should not have pretended to your followers that you knew best. You should not have persuaded "practitioners" to part with taxpayers' hard-earned cash for you to spout this tosh. You should have done your research. Your should have put in the work. You should have become knowledgeable before you advised others. You should be ashamed. You should apologise.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

teejay I would say after almost a decade of consultacy Alistair is pretty well established in this career.

4. It just says everything when a consultant of 10 years cannot teach even the basics. No wonder our education system is so poor. I hope schools wont be wasting tax payers money on people like this.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Perhaps Debbie's comment provides a more unbiased response
    I have read your blog and was dismayed with some of the things that you have written in respect to how you used to teach, but I do appreciate that they reflected commonly-held beliefs and are not simply a reflection of your personal views.

Have you attended any of Alistair's training 24601 or even read his blog or are you relying on teejay's "expert"[​IMG] opinion of good early years practice?

6. Blimey! Where to start with this one?
    On the blog post in question I was talking about strategies that I was taught to use when I was a Student teacher 20 years ago. Not my current thinking. Debbie is critical of those past practices that were not unique to me. I think you may have missed the point.
    As I have said to you before teejay, I am more than happy to publish comments on the blog that are constructive and add ideas or an alternative view. Anyone who looks at my comments bank will see a fair few of yours there. What I don't do is post comments that are aggressive or offensive. Hence the one of yours that remains unpublished.
    Alistair