1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Abacus Maths Scheme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by seashell0, Apr 27, 2020.

1. seashell0

seashell0 New commenter

I am looking at purchasing the Abacus maths scheme and have got a free trial at the moment. I've had a look and really like the planning and resources - we are looking at mixing this with White Rose mastery questioning to bulk it up a little.

Is anyone using the Abacus maths scheme and how are you finding it?
    What other schemes are you mixing it with (if any)?
    How do you use the extra resources (fluency fitness, problem solving etc) to structure your lessons?

I'm surprised to find mostly negative reviews around Abacus an mostly it's due to the lack of mastery questioning but it seems to give a good base of fluency to build upon.

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Power Maths is better.

3. seashell0

seashell0 New commenter

Why do you say that?
    I had a look at Power Maths and found it a bit dry. Looked good as more of a supplement to enhance reasoning. Have you used Abacus too?

4. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Don’t rate abacus but, as with any scheme, it’s only as good as the person using it. schemes should be a reference point not a crutch.

White Rose is well regarded and as long as you dip in but do what YOUR class need you’ll be fine. WR have additional resources that can be purchased. I’m a big fan of the snipping tool on a computer! I use bits from everywhere.

I know people who use power maths but again, it’s only as good as the user.

I would be wary that scheme may be used in a ‘do the next bit’ way rather than a ‘ my kids need this’ way.

5. ExplorePrimary

ExplorePrimary New commenter

Good tips here - not so keen on how it flicks between different aspects of maths so would like to invest as an additional resource to dip into rather than follow it. Would need to make it clear to the teachers that it is not to be followed to the letter I suppose.

Heard lots of good reviews of Power Maths though, why is that?
    We use White Rose for mastery at the moment.

6. ExplorePrimary

ExplorePrimary New commenter

Sorry OP, have just jumped on your post there. Also looking at abacus / power maths in my school.

7. seashell0

seashell0 New commenter

Thank you.
    I have just looked up the snipping tool and it has now changed my life!! Our school are great at picking bits from different schemes so hopefully won't be too much of an issue.

8. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Snipping tool is great! We looked at abacus a few years ago and decided not to go with it as it didn't stretch or challenge enough. But that was before WRM really grew, and actually I think the two would work very well, with abacus used as a bit of a scaffold. There are quite a sizeable group in our school who cannot 'get' WRM. That's probably not true for most, we are a bit unique. It will cost you, though, particularly if you buy the books as well.

9. seashell0

seashell0 New commenter

Amazing, I am currently snipping allsorts!
    Yes definitely. We are in a similar position with lots who are struggling with mastery - and probably more so after the current situation. There's so many resources online through the free trial but it looks like you need to buy the workbooks too as the pages are heavily watermarked. Can't find any PDFs on there that could be 'snipped'.

10. speaker2

speaker2 Occasional commenter

Lots of comments advise on ways of supplementing the Abacus scheme. If a new scheme, at great cost, is being considered, be wary if you also then are going to be chasing and checking on how far the scheme is actually "not" being followed. If a scheme needs loads of other additional resources, then is it actually helping the teachers in delivering the maths curriculum? The investment in schemes such as the one you mention is huge. Primary teachers might greet it as a way to help with their work load. You may see it as a way to have more consistency across year groups. But as soon as it is presented with the warning that teachers have to supplement it heavily, then it becomes a becomes an issue and you consider carefully if it is the way to go, or if it would be better to invest in other maths resources.