1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

abacus maths assessment - in tears!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ev11, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Hey, I have just marked my abacus maths papers for the term. We have just bought abacus so we did not follow it and they have all done awfully! Most of them have gone down a level and I am really doubting my ability to teach.
    A lot of them have not even read the question properly which has not helped and I am just SO angry at them for that, obviously I can't say that to them but I have worked so hard and they bloody add when it says subtract.
    I have heard that abacus is quite harsh- does anyone know or agree? xx

2. Hey, I have just marked my abacus maths papers for the term. We have just bought abacus so we did not follow it and they have all done awfully! Most of them have gone down a level and I am really doubting my ability to teach.
    A lot of them have not even read the question properly which has not helped and I am just SO angry at them for that, obviously I can't say that to them but I have worked so hard and they bloody add when it says subtract.
    I have heard that abacus is quite harsh- does anyone know or agree? xx

3. How old are they? Would you be allowed to re-do it and read the questions out loud?

4. They are in year 4. I could do that I suppose, time is of the essence however!

5. First of all, don't panic! You still have some time. What did you use this time last year? If you think that abacus is not embedded well enough to get a true level from then it would be worth doing that for your own peace of mind. The real value of testing is to find out what to do next, though. If you are sure that they need to work on reading the question and making sure that they understand what operation to use then you can make this a class target and a focus for your maths teaching until they are doing this without prompting. There are some great RUCSAC materials in the resources section if you are not using this approach already.

6. I must admit that I am probably not as strict as you appear to be with a test. I would always remind them about things like that and try to make it as user-friendly as possible. If you can, redo the test and spend some time with them about strategies. At the end of the day they are only year 4 (and I teach that year group).
    I know how frustrating it is but they are also learning how to take tests. As I walk round, if I notice that sort of error, I would point it out by asking the child 'do you really think that? have another look'.
    Will it really matter if you just keep the results? Explain that they made silly errors which you would work at next term. If it really does not match your assessment, can't you just give a teacher assessment?
    Good luck! We all know the pressures.

7. I suppose so, I keep forgetting that they are at the beginnng of year 4 and I have not done a formal test with them. It is for pupil progress and I am in my second year so I am really worried about what 'how much progress' they should make in the autumn term, do I get in trouble?

I am going to teacher assess them and have a clear piece of mind, the year 5 and 6 teachers have done them and said that theirs came out really low so maybe it is the test.
    I hate the pressure, it really freaks me out and I read all these forums about being told levels are not good enough. I think I will do lots more testbase questions and RUCSAC xxx

8. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Oh dear.
    Collins is much better imo.

I only ever dip in and out of them anyway.

9. We have Collins and I think it's a little simple. I prefer the old Heinemann stuff and the New Heinemann Maths. Good old fashioned stuff!

10. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi, On a slightly different note, I am sat here marking my Abacus end of term tests for Year 2 and I feel that the results are extremely generous! What are other people's views on this? [And not to worry the original poster too much who felt they were harsh, I am a NQT so my judgement probably needs to be taken in that context]!!