1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AARGHHHHHHH!!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Laura89Allen, Dec 20, 2011.

1. I have been practising my presentation all morning and can't for the life of me get it under 6 minutes - it's supposed to be 5. Will they stop me? Will it go against me if I run over? HELP! Lx

2. I have been practising my presentation all morning and can't for the life of me get it under 6 minutes - it's supposed to be 5. Will they stop me? Will it go against me if I run over? HELP! Lx

3. Depends where you're doing it. I had to do a 3-5 minute presentation at the IoE. They gave us a one minute warning at four minutes and told us they would stop us if we got to 5 minutes. Go back through your notes - is there any repetition? What are the least vital sections? If you're going to be stopped at 5 minutes you don't want to lose your conclusion if that's where your best stuff is - so you have to go through it with a red pen - especially if you're a full minute over. Don't panic - it's a good exercise in working out what the most important bits of your presentation are - focus on whatever criteria for it you've been set.

4. Thanks for your reply. At 23 I should know how to do this. I'm just so nervous, I want it so much!! I'm going to the University of Cumbria. It's for secondary History, and I have to introduce a topic (I've chosen Child Labour in the Industrial Revolution, as it is linked to my dissertation and feel comfortable talking about it!!) using a visual aid to illustrate my points. I've chosen two contrasting illustrations of conditions in the factories and the point is for the audience to decide from my introduction which picture is the most accurate. I thus need to provide most of my points, otherwise the pictures don't make sense. Will I be timed including handing the pictures out and explaining what I want them do do with them, or from when I actually start talking? Lx

5. I don't think Liz West will be too pedantic about precise timings ... unless you're boring her.

6. Oh god. . . .

7. Don't panic. Find a way. You'll be able to do it. Personally I'd want to be redraft so I could make the presentation in 5 minutes (including all your handing out etc.) - if you get extra time great but it's a good discipline to be able to do it in the time allotted. My fear is that the stress of knowing you will go over time will add to your nerves. If you cut the presentation down and know you can nail it in the time provided you'll have more confidence.

8. I have cut out the end bit before the conclusion, as it were, and structured it so I can add it at the end if they don't call time - I will probably end up speaking about a hundred miles per hour anyway so will likely have loads of time spare!!
    Wish me luck
    Lx

9. You'll be fine. Good Luck!