1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aaargh! September's come early!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lilyofthefield, Aug 10, 2011.

1. For the second time today I've been confronted by a gigantic spider. I've just reached my arm out to grab some bog roll and this big ugly f*cker was an inch away on the wall. And I'm in on my own. I'm itching like mad now, having dispatched it with a can of Raid and a cricket bat. My least favourite of all - thick black legs, bulbous body and three inches across.
    These only used to start appearing in Autumn. Is it the weather?

2. For the second time today I've been confronted by a gigantic spider. I've just reached my arm out to grab some bog roll and this big ugly f*cker was an inch away on the wall. And I'm in on my own. I'm itching like mad now, having dispatched it with a can of Raid and a cricket bat. My least favourite of all - thick black legs, bulbous body and three inches across.
    These only used to start appearing in Autumn. Is it the weather?

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Oh Lily, you do make me laugh! But seriously I'd have screamed the house down - I hate hate hate spiders! My yellow pages is covered in splodges of spider guts.

4. Awe, poor ickle spidder.
    You're lethal, you should get out there with your Raid and your bat and sort them bloody rioters out.

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I'll swap you your spiders for the f***ers in my garden right now. [​IMG]

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Why not just put it outside?

7. Feel free to borrow my bat.

8. I was laid in bed watching a DVD last night and could have SWORN I saw one out of the corner of my eye run across the bed!! I leapt up, turned the lights on, threw bedclothes and pillows all over the room - not a sign!! I tried to convince myself that I had imagined it and it wasn't lurking under the bed...! Urgh!! I have to say though I DO try and catch them in a glass and throw them out of the window!!

9. Everything's early down south. Am picking blackberries - huge and sweet. Apples are aplenty and will be a bumper harvest. Not troubled by spiders except the transparent spindly ones which my decorator says are the most poisonous ones per body mass index - meaning you will be totally safe to hoover them all up in your vacuum of choice. BUT GET RID OF THE BAG!

10. grammarlady

grammarlady Occasional commenter

My mother had a bit of a shock yesterday when she took a clean coffee mug out of the cupboard and found a rather large arachnid idling at the bottom. She gave a small shriek, threw him down the drain, and ran the water for a while. Poor Mum.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

They do seem to be particularly big this year - I fished an enormous spider out of my bath and even I was a bit creeped out and I'm not in the least bit scared of them.

12. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

That'll be George, he lives in my bedroom and I couldn't see him anywhere last night. He obviously went to visit you but hopefully has come back home now, having said that I don't mind if he stays at yours. I find giving them names makes them lesss scary!

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

To give you an idea of how big the spiders are in our house, we shout 'HORSE' when one emerges from its hidey hole and goes cantering across the floor.
    The one living under the telly is flippin' mahoosive. The dog's even scared of it. [​IMG]

14. NOOOOOO!
    I can't put them outside because I can't get close enough to them to put a glass over them. They move so fast they could run on me (it has happened). And once in the glass the sight of them moving makes me feel sick. I'd have to hurl the glass down the street. It took a real effort to get close enough to smash it with the bat.

15. Grandsire

Grandsire Occasional commenter

My sister's just sent me a mini rope ladder to help spiders get out of the bath, complete with green spider exit sticker. Personally, I'd rather have them in the bath where I can see them and deal with them, than have them freely roaming around the house unknown.
    I don't like spiders (understatement) but try to conquer my hysterics when I see one and trap it and get it out of the house before the cat realises its there. Much as I hate the way spiders scuttle around and surprise me by leaping out, I just can't stand the sight of the cat sitting there with struggling spider legs dangling out of his mouth, or listening to him swallowing repeatedly as he tries to gulp it down. Or when he gives up and spits the mangled thing back on the floor to watch it struggle and die. Yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck.
    Just give me a clear plastic container and a piece of card and an open window to chuck it through (the spider, that is, not the cat - although on second thoughts....)

16. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

Argh. Spiders [​IMG].
    My kitten (Jack) started to go crazy last night when he saw something on the ceiling and when I went to have a look, it was a massive spindly spider moving along like normal. Jack jumped up onto the top of the white unit from the cat scratching post (a big jump if you ask me) and pawed the spider down.
    I didn't know where it had disappeared too until my older cat started to go crazy at one corner on the floor as the spider tried to escape and she also pawed it again.
    I don't mind getting rid of spiders if I can use a plastic coloured cup and a piece of card but when it comes to spindly ones like that, I always get the hoover out. It's just a shame my cats beat me to it lol.

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I have a Bug Catcher device. You place the open chamber over the spider/moth/crane fly etc and then slide the thin plastic base plate into position, allowing you to get to the bottom of the garden with no danger of the critter getting out until you want to release it.
    It's worth every penny of the £4-99 I paid for it years ago.

18. Well that's all right then!! Would you just ask him to let me know next time he comes though rather than take me by surprise! ;-) xxx

19. Poor wee spidery-woos.
    Glass and a sheet of paper every time for me - I can't kill spiders.
    I think the only bug I feel real loathing for are ticks. Vile, revolting, hateful things. What's the point of them? At least spiders eat flies.

20. I came home from school to find my husband had locked himself in the bedroom because there was a spider in the hallway. He can't even look at them on the television!