1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aaaagh! New class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sulas, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Anyone got any advice?
    Have been in my school since last September. Last year tricky year 6 class this year Very difficult year 4 - told I was moved because of my excellent behaviour management! Last year interim head - this year new head. Last year we had - as have many schools - a behaviour policy which included sending chn to other teachers for 5 mins time out. This year been told not to do this - nothing has been put in to replace this practice. My class is underachieving according to their year 3 data. I have already been told I need to improve 'pace'. However, i have a couple of chn who are not responding to my strategies, i am not allowed to send them to colleagues. Today at the end of my tether I sent one child ( I can only describe his behaviour today as off the wall - nothing had any impact) to the head with a note saying that his behaviour was such that no one was able to do anything constructive. 2 mins later he was back with head who told him to say sorry. then head left!!
    I have an observation in a weeks time and I know i will be pulled up on pace and not meeting learning objectives. How do you get pace when there is constant bad behaviour.
    this is not just one chd but 4 or 5 altho there were 2 that were really bad today. Any ideas?? Please?
    I am not an NQT but a very experienced teacher who was very close to tears today when chd was just sent back - that has never happened to me before.

Will also post on behaviour forum but you are all so very supportive i would welcome your imput.

2. Forgot to say we are a school in cause for concern.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My advice would be to look for a new job. Without the support of SMT then there is little you can do.

In the meantime, just make a pack with like minded colleagues that you will send children to each other and just not tell the HT.

Ask for a staff meeting slot to discuss the new behaviour system and then bring up why it is a problem and that having the option to send children out is one you all feel that you need to keep.

4. Thanks minnieminx. Must admit it has crossed my mind every day that i should start job hunting. However, if i do that i really can't afford to get on the wrong side of the head - with needing a reference and everything.
    Our interim was so supportive last year and by working together we were really successful. This year group has been a nightmare since foundation - everyone dreads getting them.
    the search begins!