1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A2L - quantifying and reporting on effort

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Petite Joueuse, Apr 2, 2011.

1. I'll take that as a no?

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

What is A2L? Assessment to Learn???

3. Would you mind letting me see what criteria you are using?
    My issue with this latest initiative is that we are being told that the vast majority of pupils will be given a "2", with "1" being reserved for a small minority of outstanding pupils. However, we are a high performing grammar school where the pupils put a lot of pressure on themselves to excel - I fear that if the vast majority are to be given a "2" that is tantamount to saying that the vast majority are not actually doing enough in terms of effort. This could be very damaging long term.

4. So how would you react, Mr Smith, if told that "the vast majority of your pupils" should be awarded a 2 - "because in a school of this type, 2 is the average grade expected of our pupils"?
    I am seriously worried about how pupils will perceive this - are the vast majority seriously not doing enough? We already have more than our fair share of OCD girls, eating disorders, stress related ailments.....surely this will fuel that????

5. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I think I would probably react by thinking: what is the effort descriptor? Then how do I apply it? Then if I want to give a 1, I will! (I'm not keen on being told what to do at my age.)

6. Quite!
    OK - here are two descriptors from two different "levels":
    "never gives up even when the task seems difficult"
    "perseveres even when faced with a difficult task"
    Your challenge (should you choose to accept it!) is to tell me which descriptor merits a 1 and which merits a 2?

7. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Oh dear. I see your point. I suspect these attempts to precisely describe effort are a bit futile. We went down that road and still argue about interpretation. Why not: very good, good, fair, weak? I am being serious.

8. If only it were up to me to decide on such things.....
    We are "piloting" the system with one of my Year 8 classes - I think I will put down a 1 for every single pupil - they are a great class, huge fun to teach, all producing excellent results etc etc