1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A2 Unit 6 (written paper) marking question....

Discussion in 'Music' started by ViolaMan, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Could someone help!

Unit 6, instrumental music comparative essay....

If a student manages to identify and locate various responses to the essay question but their QWC is terrible does this mean that they are still graded in the upper categories or is their mark compromised.

For instance, a student who has 18+ illustrated points (normally placed in the 32-36 category of marks) but QWC very poor, what kind of mark could they get? It is unclear how many marks are awarded to QWC.

Many thanks.

2. Could someone help!

Unit 6, instrumental music comparative essay....

If a student manages to identify and locate various responses to the essay question but their QWC is terrible does this mean that they are still graded in the upper categories or is their mark compromised.

For instance, a student who has 18+ illustrated points (normally placed in the 32-36 category of marks) but QWC very poor, what kind of mark could they get? It is unclear how many marks are awarded to QWC.

Many thanks.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Somebody else may be able to make a more authoritative reply, but I've noticed that the principal examiner for the paper (who wrote the Rhinegold revision guide) deducts up to 5 marks for poor QWC in that book. So, a candidate who scored 32 raw marks, might have that reduced to 27 for poor QWC.
    However, these deductions seem not to be for poor SPG as it used to be called (spelling, punctuation and grammar) but more for things such as verbose introductions, omission of important points, vagueness, repetition and so on.
    Whatever the case, I seem to recall that our beloved Secretary of State for Education wants heavier penalties for poor English in the future, so don't spare the rod!

4. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

I think it most likely that the answer would be brought down to the mark band below, rather than a generic 5 marks or so deducted. I do not think that a penalty could take a candidate further than the adjacent mark band. Deductions are for QWC [quality of written communication - the way a point is made] as opposed to SPG [spelling, punctuation and grammar]. Having said that, if the SPG made the communication poor and the sense of the answer becomes ambiguous, then it amounts to one and the same thing.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That would seem very harsh if the examiner had determined that only one or two marks should be deducted for poor QWC.

6. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Indeed it would - but you had already said "spare the rod". I would far rather students produced better answers because of fear of a harsh penalty system than to enter the exam with an "it won't matter too much" feeling.