1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A2 Unit 4 Implications (synoptic replacement)

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Adamski22, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Help! Does anyone have any 'model' answers to the new 40 mark (2 questions) anthology based A2 Unit 4 Synoptic replacement.

We do Ethics and St Johns Gospel and will go with the latter but any help from any quarter on this exam would be much appreciated despite what questions you do!

I'm a little confused as to how the exam board wnat the answers structured. Has anyone got any thoughts/ideas/hopes/fears/dreams on this front?

Please share with a frustrated young teacher! Seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding this at the mo....

Many thanks in advance

Adamski

2. Help! Does anyone have any 'model' answers to the new 40 mark (2 questions) anthology based A2 Unit 4 Synoptic replacement.

We do Ethics and St Johns Gospel and will go with the latter but any help from any quarter on this exam would be much appreciated despite what questions you do!

I'm a little confused as to how the exam board wnat the answers structured. Has anyone got any thoughts/ideas/hopes/fears/dreams on this front?

Please share with a frustrated young teacher! Seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding this at the mo....

Many thanks in advance

Adamski

3. san38

san38 New commenter

Sorry no help other than sympathy. Yes, major confusion - it's the first time for this unit and haven't a clue - as far as I am aware there are no sample answers out there yet. My colleague is going on a course next month - see if you can go. Very much hoping this will enlighten us as haven't a clue at moment. We teach philosphy and John and like you think we're going with the latter (the course is specific to new testament). Made this decision because the philosophy anthology looked way too hard. I got a first at uni and didn't read many texts as heavy going as those.

4. Thanks for that...I'll try the course......If I come across anything I'll post it on here.

5. I think there are some model answers included in the new 2008 specifications released by Edexcel - I found the philosophy ones I needed there. There are also some on the CD-ROM that comes with the A2 course textbook - the Tyler and Reid one.

Hope that helps!

6. Skitashi

Skitashi New commenter

Bringing this up again as its looming and just wondered how you are going to approach these texts?? I couldnt get on the course as it was full - has anyone started this with their students if so, how? Feeling a bit dwarfed by the task ours did badly in the Synoptic last year and I felt I at least had the measure of that.
    Also when d you plan on starting this?
    Thanks!
    S

7. Hi has anyone got any further with this? We're doing the NT anthology but really appreciate any tips for approaches to exam questions.

I've followed the formula that pupils should be analysing the texts and looking for the arguments contained within. They should be familiar with the whole text in order to discuss whichever part of it comes up in the exam, and they should bring in knowledge from other areas of study to compliment and support thier answer.

Any help/tips for this? Could even exchange ideas on the school phone if anyone has any?

Thanks

Ad

8. Hi. I have been teaching this for about 6 weeks now. I "teach" one lesson per fortnight. The students have a small exercise book and a copy of the anthology that we are reading so they can make notes on it. We have discussions and debates in a real sense using the anthology as a prompt and then the students make notes as we go through.

Points to consider are

What points or arguements are raised?
    Do you agree with the args? What evidence or justification do you have? (They can use evidence from the text or their wider knowledge)

What are the implications for accepting the points raised on a micro level and a macro level, for yourself, the community, the world, humanity.

What are the implications for not accepting the points raised etc etc

The students have the specimin question in the front of their exercise books for them to refer to and this means that they can work through the text on their own.

I went to a meeting led by Gordon Reid and he heavily hinted that the anthology text that would be referred to is "Who moved the Stone?" because there are points of contraversy in it and anything that just reported facts would not allow the students to fulfill the criteria.

No specimin papers and no model answers. He said that students can respond to the text in a somewhat personal way. I am teaching Philosophy and NT (Jn) too. What an amazing combination : )

9. san38

san38 New commenter

We are due to start this and equally worried. I liked the last synoptic because it enabled you to structure how you teach around it - ie. my colleague did NT (also John - more of us than I thought!) and I do Phil and we could both contribute and supervise preparation of answers. This doesn't seem to allow for that and it's the structuring of it that is problematic. Hard to imagine the next few months reading and annotating an anthology.

10. Thank you treacle747! Thats great and I'm pleased to say that we're teaching along the same lines too. Would you be free for a brief chat on the school phone at some point? Could exchange ideas.... Don't worry if you're busy. Let me know either on here or
    mail me

mrhallre@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks and good luck!

Ad

11. Anyone else got this looming? any fresh ideas welcome......

Thanks

Ad

12. My colleague and I are both teaching this to our students at the moment. However, we are teaching the Philosophy section. We have produced our own versions of the Philosophy section from the anthology which has each paragraph numbered. We had begun to do this in November just before I went on the course at Edexcel in London and to my relief the chief examiner mentioned that this might be a helpful way of breaking down the texts for the students. Most of our lessons have become seminar based in style so that the students are split into pairs and given a certain number of paragraphs to analyse together. They then have to plan and deliver a presentation to the rest of the group on their paragraphs, clarifying the argument, any links that can be made, implications of the argument and references to religion and human experience (although we are all struggling with the latter, including my colleague and I). Other lessons are taught, especially where the text makes reference to scholars with whom the students are unfamiliar. After the presentations the students pull together the knowledge either by note-taking and annotating their anthology booklets or by using sugar paper (the text is stuck in the middle and they use marker pens/diagrams to annotate around the outside. I have some samples of lessons and resources that I could email around if anyone is interested. After half-term I am intending to use the sugar paper idea with practice exam questions with all students contributing ideas to a model answer as the students still lack confidence to work on their own to produce a model answer.

13. Yes please! I would love a copy of any resources or material that you have prepared please........

mrhallre@hotmail.co.uk

many thanks

14. Just read your entry. I would love to receive your information/lesson plans etc for the implications unit.

My email is rpe0703@yahoo.co.uk

Much appreciated (it might save my sanity!)

15. As above, im stressing too!

ive started going through it with my students, paragraph by paragraph, they are finding it hardwork, so anything that would help would be a bonus.

many thanks in advance

my email is maggiemurphy23@hotmail.com

16. My daughter is taking Philosophy & Ethics A level this year and is really struggling wih the anthology part of the course. I would really appreciate any information you have and any ideas for revision material (books cd's etc.). Thanks in advance for your help.

17. Sorry forgot my email address
    ianelcock@hotmail.com

18. Hello, I am doing the Christianity section with my students and am really struggling. if anyone has any advice at all please let me know! - sharon_condy@hotmail.com

Thanks

19. Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but if I could share this too I woul dbe really grateful joanne.fellows@gmail.com thanks :)