1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A2 Spanish cultural topics (AQA)

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by GoldyLocks1, Oct 20, 2015.

1. GoldyLocks1

GoldyLocks1 New commenter

Hello,

I am new to A2 teaching and I need to start the cultural topics as soon as possible. I decided to focus on a region in Spain but I do not know what to do for the second topic. A poet/artist/director I quite like this idea. However if I understand well the students should be able to chose their topics? In that case I might not be able to use some online resources.. Can we sometimes choose for them?Is it too late to start a book? I would love to have some advice regarding the cultural topics. What you have tried and if you have resources that you could share!

Gracias!

2. Coventrymiss

Coventrymiss New commenter

Hi goldilocks,
    If you are with AQA then the cultural topic can be decided between you and the students provided it ticks one of the 5 topic areas. I have previously taught literature (requiempor un campesino espanol or como chocolate para agua). Student always enjoy these. This year I am off Spanish and teaching French a level instead, I've decided to go with a film alongside a historical period. The nice thing about books and films is that the questions are fairly predictable. I also try to teach things where there are lots of readily available resources to buy as it can be hard work teaching a topic area from scratch. You can then add to this with your own work.

3. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Have a look at the range of questions that can come up on the "region" topic and check you still think it's a good idea.

4. venkmani1991

venkmani1991 New commenter

If you want to teamach a play which has lots of teaching resources on the TES, do La Casa de Bernada Alba and ask your pupils to buy the book and start reading over half term (even watch the film - should still be on youtube). Or book-wise you'd be best doing a García-Márquez novel.

5. pollyho

pollyho New commenter

I think it also can depend on the type of group you have and their likes and dislikes, strengths and weaknesses. I find work of a director tends to be well received by most students and the exam questions are very do-able. El Laberinto del Fauno is very popular and you can find lots of resources for it. I too would steer clear of the region topic. Even AQA say students often perform poorly on this topic area. I also do a novel - Como Agua Para Chocolate, we read it in English and Spanish.

6. GoldyLocks1

GoldyLocks1 New commenter

Thank you for your replies. They were very helpful! I decided to study a novel "Como agua para chocolate" and a painter Salvador Dali. First experience, we will see!

7. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Just make sure they write about about the book, not the film!