1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A2 - region generic questions

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by el101, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone would be able to share a list of generic questions they use for the region topic at A2 (French) please? We've spent time learning about the different sections - history, geography etc - but I'd like the students to prepare answers to a set of generic questions in preparation for their oral exam. I'd be really grateful. We've done Alsace if anyone would like to share further resources. It's the first time I've taught it and haven't found much help on the AQA site.
    Many thanks if you're able to help me :)

2. Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone would be able to share a list of generic questions they use for the region topic at A2 (French) please? We've spent time learning about the different sections - history, geography etc - but I'd like the students to prepare answers to a set of generic questions in preparation for their oral exam. I'd be really grateful. We've done Alsace if anyone would like to share further resources. It's the first time I've taught it and haven't found much help on the AQA site.
    Many thanks if you're able to help me :)

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

You need to be aware that you will be severely limiting their maximum grade if you do that, as any pre-prepared speech (or suspicion of) is automatically downgraded.
    I don't do the region as a cultural topic so can't really help, sorry!

4. steveglover

steveglover New commenter

There is an excellent French TV series on DVD now from the early 90's called Les Deux Mathilde based on the history of Alsace from just before the Franco-Prussian to after the second world war. It gives a real feel for the issues in the area-bit late now though probably for this year.

5. Thanks ever so much for that; I found the series on DVD in August, following your advice, and it has been invaluable!
    With regards to students preparing questions, I think it is invaluable as a process - they start to understand key themes and form their own opinions and consider ways in which to incorporate high level grammar into certain strands of their exam. I will be in no way suggesting they learn these answers par coeur but I feel if they don't go through this process, they miss out on forming opinions and are not fully prepared. I have found a list of 5 questions on the exam board website, but once again, if anyone does have a list they have used for a region I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again :)

6. Listo83

Listo83 New commenter

Here u go...

Quels sont les principaux aspects culturels de la région que vous avez étudiée? A votre avis, jusqu'à quel point est-il difficile de maintenir l'identité culturelle de cette région ?

Dans les années récentes, quels changements y a-t-il eu dans le domaine de l'industrie dans la région que vous avez étudiée ? A votre avis, quels effets ces changements ont-ils eus sur la région ?

Quelles sont les caractéristiques principales du climat dans la région que vous avez étudiée ? De quelles façons le climat affecte-t-il la vie de cette région ?

Quelles possibilités sont offertes aux touristes dans la région que vous avez étudiée ? À votre avis, devrait-on être pessimiste ou optimiste en ce qui concerne l'avenir du tourisme dans cette région ?

Dans la région que vous avez étudiée, quelles mesures a-t-on prises pour protéger l'environnement ? A votre avis, ces mesures ont-elles eu du succès ? Justifiez votre réponse.

Quelles sont les caractéristiques de la gastronomie de la région que vous avez étudiée ? Evaluez l'importance de la gastronomie de cette région.€

Quelles sont les principales industries dans la région que vous avez étudiée ? Evaluez l'importance de l'industrie dans cette région.

Décrivez quelques traditions associées à la région que vous avez étudiée. A votre avis, ces traditions sont-elles importantes aujourd'hui ?

Décrivez le relief et le milieu naturel de la région que vous avez étudiée. Comment ces aspects affectent-ils le mode de vie des habitants ?

Quels sont les attraits touristiques de la région que vous avez étudiée ? Jusqu'à quel point le tourisme est-il bénéfique à cette région ?

7. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

Any one of Listo83's questions would serve as a brilliant opener, and they could all equally double as essay questions for Fren3.
    How about giving the students some responsibility for this, by opening with a question about what aspect of the topic/region interests them the most? That's a way of saying to them, "Now tell me what you want to talk about." Each of your subsequent questions starts from where the last answer left off. As long as the students can justify what they're saying with examples and can respond to the challenging bit with further examples, a reaction to an alternative point of view or to a request to speculate along the lines of "What if...?", they will - with lots of practice - be able to meet the assessment criteria.
    Tell them to help you to help them. They should be doing the research - with your help. That way no two students need cover the same ground within the same topic.