1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A2 Mass Media - Help needed!!

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by GruffyMax, Nov 25, 2011.

1. <font face="Arial" size="3">Hello,
    I've been plodding my way through the SoW, using the guide from AQA, and I've just got to this bit:
    Postmodernism and the media: the media become reality, simulacra, Baudrillard.
    But I can't find anything in all my usual places to help explain what it is!! Obviously I know what postmodernism is, but can anyone help with the other stuff?!
    Cheers!
    Gruffy
    </font>

2. Baurillard and simulacra crops up in media and theories.
    It's him referring to how reality is simulated in a postmodern society.
    For example, the example I use is that of Dubai or Qatar making streets appear like they are a bazaar from medieval times, but are actually just a creation to give that impression. In the same way that Disney world tries to simulate experiences on roller coasters or when you're walking through their streets.
    In the same way, a new table may consist of chipboard, but have a solid oak finish. A jacket may be plastic, but give the impression that it is leather. All examples of simulacra, as I understand the concept.
    In media, the programmes simulate our reality through the transmission of signs. We then read articles about these signs. E.g. A story in a TV mag about characters from eastenders. This in turn leads to a media saturated society and hyper-reality.
    Hope this helps.