1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A2 ICT Project - Practical Skills

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by alextheguru, Feb 18, 2011.

1. I need obtain some resources for my A2 students that will guide them through setting up an advanced spreadsheet and an advanced Access database. I know about the Julian Mott book which I am certainly looking to get for myself but I really need some electronic resources that i can share with my students through the intranet allowing them to work indepedently. Does anyone have any resources that they would be prepared to share? or does anyone know where I might be able to aquire them at no cost? e.g. website etc.
    Thanks for your help.
    Alex

2. I need obtain some resources for my A2 students that will guide them through setting up an advanced spreadsheet and an advanced Access database. I know about the Julian Mott book which I am certainly looking to get for myself but I really need some electronic resources that i can share with my students through the intranet allowing them to work indepedently. Does anyone have any resources that they would be prepared to share? or does anyone know where I might be able to aquire them at no cost? e.g. website etc.
    Thanks for your help.
    Alex

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

If this is AQA then I wouldn't bother.
    There are no marks to be gained for advanced use of a software package.
    The marks are given for the management of an ICT related project, so just stick to something simple and use the time saved for the write-up

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I have some tutorial videos in the resource bank for WJEC course which sounds like they may be of use to you.
    database ones here They are stored in a odd order on TES and I can not edit this - however if you want to know the correct order then you can see from the screenshot on my bit on teach-ict here (it's the bottom of the two screenshots on this page)
    spreadsheet ones here (these have just been uploaded say may not appear for an hour apparantly)

5. How simple can you go though?

Surely students must be required to produce a system that is more complex than a simple table, data entry form and report.

6. It would help if you specified which exam board spec you are following. The specification will have details on how the coursework is assessed-WJEC has a very specific markscheme for example. Obviously, if your students are doing the database coursework then the very minimum for a relational database is 3 tables. I always teach all the skills in a series of practical exercises from Sept - Oct ( 5 hrs a fortnight) then guide students through the coursework sections, setting deadlines for each section and making other resources and exemplars ( from the exam board and previous projects) to assist them.
    Hope that helps.

7. The exam board is AQA so there are no marks for construction. Does three tables sound about right then? It seems at bit harsh to really expect much more if you don't get any credit for it. Any advice would be appreciated.