1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A2 Food Technology

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by smg58, Mar 3, 2016.

1. smg58

smg58 New commenter

Can anyone give me clear advice on marking 12 mark questions on unit 3 AQA June 2016 (old spec) ? I am enquiring for my daughter who has been told that 12 mark questions are rewarded as one mark for one relevant point and any additional explanation, description or analysis is pointless and will not get any marks. She has been told that this is the case even when questions ask for discuss or describe. Looking at the examiners report and mark schemes there appears to be suggestion that a level of response system operates with developed points allowing students to move up the mark scale as in the case of her other A level subjects. As an A level Business Studies teacher and examiner I find it hard to believe that an A 2 qualification is awarded for a bulleted list. I don't want to contradict her teacher or give her wrong advice. I would be grateful for any help or comment on this matter.

2. Textile1

Textile1 New commenter

12 mark questions are almost always rewarded on a levels of response basis which looks for developed and well argued points and not a list of bulleted points. At A2, evidence of understanding is expected and this cannot be demonstrated through a list. Your daughter's teacher is wrongly advising students - you are right to use the published marks schemes and examiner's reports.