1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A2 essay writing skills

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by ruthie1204, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hello
    I'm currently teaching my A2 group the cultural topic (a book: Bonjour Tristesse) and would love to know any tips/strategies anyone has for how to teach pupils to write decent essays.
    Thank you in advance for your help [​IMG]

2. Hello
    I'm currently teaching my A2 group the cultural topic (a book: Bonjour Tristesse) and would love to know any tips/strategies anyone has for how to teach pupils to write decent essays.
    Thank you in advance for your help [​IMG]

3. Hi, I don't know the book but there are some great resources on Steve Smith's frenchteacher.net site.
    You didn't say which exam board you are using - but you can find lots of information on the exam boards' websites. We do AQA, and have downloaded examiners' reports and cineliteracy information from their course too.

4. steveglover

steveglover New commenter

We have a full set of resources geared towards creating good essays and oral work on Bonjour Tristesse on www.alevelfrench.com Go this link for a trial username and password so you can see what you get. Resources include full vocab list, full summary with verb gap fill, character guide activities, a range of tense related practice and enrichment activities, essay planning tool and sample essay.

5. steveglover

Oh I forgot there is also a full set of suggested questions for each chapter.

6. I found this earlier, and it certainly looks promising, but when I used the trial username and password it told me there was an error and I didn't get to look at the sample resources.

7. steveglover

Hi Ruthie

it should be ok now. I just checked it -bttrial pw letmein103 Someone may have changed it.
    If not just email me and I'll set you a personal one up.

Steve

8. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

My general advice is: clear structure with intro and conclusion. Make at least ten good points developed with evidence from the source (film, novel etc). All couched in A-level language.Make sure it is easy for the examiner to put ticks in the margin. Use phrases like: "this shows that", "I conclude from this that..." etc.

There is some useful material on frenchteacher.net .
    The essay question on the AQA A2 paper is the most contentious, IMHO. We found marking to be unpredictable last year. Our marker was willing to go both very low and very high.