1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A2 Edexcel Tom McElvogue's Jig etc

Discussion in 'Music' started by DevonAtHeart, May 12, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any ideas about what sort of question they might ask about this?
    There doesn't seem to be a huge amount to say about it!

2. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

For how long do you think McElvogue played his damn jig before the grizzled guy at the bar took offence and nailed the fiddle to his head?

Lennox.

3. i think it would be something like
    'In terms of melody, structure, rhythm, texture, instrumentation and harmony of Tom mcElvogue's jig and reel, describe the features which are typical of folk music'
    that's the kind of thing i've given them for this piece. i think because it's all very simple and centred around similar ideas throughout the whole piece, etc. they just need to pick out ideas which are why it's easy to dance to, eg. balanced phrasing, melody based around tonic and dominant, time signature, etc.
    hope that kinda makes sense!!! think there's some things on the rhinegold website under classroom music
    [​IMG]

4. There's quite a lot going on under the surface in this piece - not least the implication of chords from the shape of the melody. Don't forget that Edexcel produce their own analyses now which you can download from their website. A good starting point!

Have fun analysing!