1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A2 AQA SPANISH CULTURAL TOPICS

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by nschweitzer59, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm having to teach the cultural topics for the first time and wondering if anyone has recommendations as to which are good topics to teach ( as in, good /relevant resources available) but particularly, do you know of topics that the students have really liked?
    And also, of course, where to find good resources for them, and how long should you spend teaching it? Would you encourage the students to do some research?

As I said, I'm completely new to this so any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

2. Hi all,
    I'm having to teach the cultural topics for the first time and wondering if anyone has recommendations as to which are good topics to teach ( as in, good /relevant resources available) but particularly, do you know of topics that the students have really liked?
    And also, of course, where to find good resources for them, and how long should you spend teaching it? Would you encourage the students to do some research?

As I said, I'm completely new to this so any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

3. Hi nschweitzer59, I am also teaching Spanish A2 cultural topics for the first time this year. The history of 20th century Cuba (my first topic) took me all of the summer to sort, reading reference books and preparing a series of slide shows. But I have to admit I found it very interesting. With limited time for a second subject I went for a film. Pedro Almodovar's Women on the Edge of a Nervous Breakdown has a lot published and is very stright forward. A slice of Madrid life. The students seem to enjoy a film; I show three chapters per lesson and then prepare a series of questions on those chapters. This helps towards the writing and speaking exam.

Helen

4. Hi there

I have taught previously Eduardo Mendoza's Sin Noticias de Gurb (old spec) and currently teach Pan's Labyrinth. A colleague who I co-taught with did Catalunya. All of our resources are on my site languagesresources.co.uk, in the A Level Spanish section.
    Dulwich College's Spanish resource section also has some great film and history stuff, particularly Andalucia.

Regards
    Sam

5. hi, thanks a lot for your help about the A2 topics, also looked at your website , which is great! Funnily enough, I was actually thinking of doing Cataluna as a topic!!

Just wondering though, I'm massively late and haven't even started teaching the topics (lots of catching up to do as this group last year spent 1/2 the year without a teacher!).

Therefore, we'll have 6 weeks to cover Cataluna AND Pan's labyrinth...

How would you go about it to just try to teach the essential stuff and cut corners a bit?

Also, what could I give them to do during 1/2 term in preparation for the topics, and which topics would you do first?

Sorry I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I really want to get this right as it's so important for their exams...

Thanks!!!

6. If you are planning on doing both topics from now, I suggest you pick the one that you want them to do for the essay question on the written paper and focus mainly on that one. I would then only prepare the second topic with the oral exam in mind, perhaps give them a list of questions that could come up (but it has to be a conversation, so it can't be a prescriptive list of questions - I find that some questions really helps them though as they have a starting point). This is not the ideal way, but it is the way that I would do it in this limited amount of time.

7. yeah that's probably what I'll do. How exactly do you go about teaching about a film and what sort of activity is best to prepare them for the exams? I've asked them to focus on different aspects of the film and come with a presentation during the hols but after that, not sure how to best teach about it..

8. Have a look at past questions. They seem to be focussed on very vague things such as 'why is this film successful/important/interesting' etc and so you can use anything you want to answer.
    I tend to focus on:
    characters
    main themes (in Pan's Lab these would be: women, war, relationships, children, fantasy etc)
    filming - lighting, shots, scenes, colours, sounds etc
    My resources have stuff on all this, plus useful speaking questions. My kids want to do the film for the writing, not the region, so that is how we will teach it.

mina1308 likes this.
  9. Is there any chance you could put the questions onto the TES website? I am also teaching 'Mujeres ...' and my pupils are currently preparing a presentation for their oral and then we will practise answering questions on the film but I have no idea what sort of questions they might be asked! I guess they will be about the themes etc but any help you can offer would be fantastic. Many thanks.

10. Pans questions are already in the a level Spanish section of my website languagesresources.co.uk

11. Hi there,

I'm doing Gernika in the Civil War.
    Fascinating and the students love it!
    Loads of resources online both in English and Spanish. We have to focus on this episode framing it in the Civil War but without extending ourselves too much into it (as the main topic is Gernika)

There is a novel in English that inmersed the students even more, very easy to read, a bit simple at points, but with a good reflection of the Bombardment as the author based this narrative of the bombardment on the testimonies of the survivor: Guernica, by Dave Boling
    Also this website: www.90grados.info/porfolio/swf/Gernikaweb/G2CASTELLANo.html presents one of the most complete and best illustrated resources I found covering this topic.

Good luck!

12. Gracias Adolfo!

si me mandas tu email te paso lo que preparE sobre Gernika, me gustaria q me dieras feedback e ideas a cambio, q te parece?

Bicho

13. I'd love to see and use some of these resources but I can't seem to acces them via the website? Is it perhaps a broken link or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks so much for your help and support
    Erica

14. Hi,
    I am currently having to research a cultural topic for my PGCE and I have chosen to do Andalucia. I have been looking around and I can't seem to find any material on this. Does anyone have any or know where there are some? Thanks everso.

15. Hi Sam,
    Sorry to go off topic a little but do you happen to have a specific website address for Dulwich Spanish resources? I used it last year loads but for some reason I don't have any specific web addresses for it, I think just always used to Google it every time. This year I can't seem to find it on Google, no matter what I type in and I'm getting really frustrated with myself over it!
    Thanks a lot,
    Polly.

16. Hi
    I thought I was going crazy as I can't seem to find any resources for Dulwich College either. Any ideas on ho we can find the info?
    Thanks everso
    Ann-marie