1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A2 AQA Blues and Jazz

Discussion in 'Music' started by madmusic, Jan 3, 2012.

1. It is the first year that I am teaching Blues and Jazz for A2 level and whilst I am covering the aspects it mentions in the syllabus, I feel a bit as if I am swimming against the tide. Does anyone have any previous experience of this section of the exam, or handy hints that you could give me regarding revision hints/aspects that have been useful to your students?
    Thanks in advance

2. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

I taught it last year for the first time. I used the Rhinegold more than the Nelson Thorne for info. I also used the old Edexcel AS/A2 Rhinegold books and the Edexcel Anthology as there used to be a pop and Jazz unit. So from there I was able to use the scores for Black and Tan and West End Blues. I start with some Scott Joplin Ragtime, move onto some Trad Jazz, (Jelly Roll Morton) then Blues, swing and Bebop. The Old Edexcel music tech books are good for a basic outline of jazz styles too.

This site is good for obtaining free scores

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Composers

I assume you have looked at the guide in this document on the AQA site

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2270-W-TRB-U04CS.PDF

Of course then there is the classical aspect. I looked at Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue, Ravel Piano Concerto. This wasn't needed in last years exam.

When it comes down to it the exam questions are abut analysing the music so what ever you do you need to get into the nitty gritty of melodic/harmonic/structure/instrumental techniques etc etc.

3. Thanks for your reply! That is what I've done - picked pieces from different styles of jazz and getting them to analyse it mainly using the info from the examiners reports.

Will keep going! Thanks again!

4. Just seen your message and I've just finished making a revision guide which looks at a variety of jazz genres/pieces/composers in an A3 chart format right from ragtime to Debussy etc. If you'd like a copy, send me your e mail address.

5. unemployedNQT

unemployedNQT New commenter

I'd love a copy - please check your messages!

Doing the same work now, just trying to get some advice on last min revision for Jazz.

6. Yes please can I have a copy too.

Thanks

Helen

mark_helenc@hotmail.com

7. Would I be able to have a copy too please? :) I'm finding it a nightmare to revise for this exam as my teacher just gives me piles of irrelevant notes and tells me to learn them. Sarahbethhayes@hotmail.co.ul
    Thankyou! X

8. Hello :) I'm really struggling with this section of the AQA paper - I would be very grateful if you could share this with me too please. My email address is bethevans33@gmail.com.

9. Hi. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a copy of the revision booklet you have made. I am starting to look at the A2 AQA Jazz/Blues material but would love a copy of the guide to help me plan my SOW for this topic. Thanks. My email is andytyner@hotmail.com

10. gliss

gliss New commenter

Could I also have a copy kfern@hotmail.co.uk

11. Is this still available please??

adam.theobald@lakes.cumbria.sch.uk

Thanks

12. Did you get a copy of the jazz table? Any chance you could send it to me please?

adam.theobald@lakes.cumbria.sch.uk

Thanks

13. Yes please!!!

adam.theobald@lakes.cumbria.sck.uk

14. I would love a copy of your revision guide if possible, my email is gwilson@westfield.newcastle.sch.uk I would really appreciate it! :)