1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A0 Roll Feed Printer

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by mugofteawouldbenice, May 13, 2011.

1. Hey all,

My school is thinking of buying a large format printer for printing huge display boards around school. Anyone bought one with any advice to give?

Cheers!

2. Our school has one and the posters look great- but expensive to run I think as nobody encourages us to use it much except round open night time!

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

A friend of mine has a Canon. It has 8 ink cartridges. The cartridges supplied with the machine were only 1/4 full so ran out quite quickly, and they are expensive to replace. Eventually he found he could buy much larger cartridges than the ones Canon sell and lower cost, but the door over the cartridge compartment can't close.
    He uses it a few times each year so the ink jets get blocked and it takes ages to go through the cleaning process to avoid the banding and get the colours he expects, using a lot of ink in the process.
    If you have one of these printers and use it regularly, this would be avoided. All in all, given the number of prints he's actually run off it would have been far cheaper to have sent the print jobs to a printing company to do. I used a graphic designer who had a similar printer. The cost seemed very reasonable compared to the cost of owning a large format printer myself.