1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A - Z of hated education buzz words!!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by rasamus, Jan 13, 2010.

1. N - National - as in standards, initiative, strategy etc...... Leave me alone!!!!!

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Opportunity (as in learning opportunity)

scraping the barrel here, sorry

3. P is for Point (Evidence, Example)
    I'm sorry; I just hate that

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Questioning as in open ended

5. Standards - falling, raise them, benchmark against them.... pickle them and store for 30 years....

6. T - Teaching & Learning - but then that was easy; so I've tried again below:
    U - Uniform? The on-going fuss on the corridors and in the playgrounds.
    U - Under-performing! Always could do better!!

7. R - Reflection
    What? I reflect, you reflect, they reflect! If everyone spent less time reflecting and more time doing, we might get somewhere. Grrr [​IMG]

8. Likewise:
    E - Evaluation
    Enough said.

9. Taking it back to the start. A for Active Learning (all the rage in Scotland at the moment - perish the thought you should give the little darlings a worksheet). I mean, it's just stupid. To learn is a verb. It's active. If you're learning, you're active. Doesn't matter whether your body is moving around and sound is coming out of your mouth or not. But oh no, the bureaucrats know better and anything that involves a modicum of peace and quiet, or just a touch of routine practice is *so* 20th century.

10. B......Bell Curve.....there's a move in our school to adopt this form of marking, so that instead of a kid going home with a grade that says 10%...... it magically transforms into 40%.........I just don't get this........

11. RED (Ready Every Day) - for OFSTED
    sub-levels and levels
    above / below national expectations
    meeting the criteria
    closing the gap
    It's all very target driven isn't it!

12. RITA = Reading In The Afternoon