1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A year out... what should I do?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Craigjamieson88, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm currently on a secondary maths PGCE. The pros and cons of this year have been massive, but something I have found is that you really learn a lot about yourself in this year (I know that may sound a bit pretentious but it's true!). I think I've realised that I've not developed enough personally to be standing in front of a class telling them what to do with their lives.

As such, I plan to finish the PGCE year and then take a year out. It's certainly a decision I'm still mulling over but I'm thinking that's the best strategy.

I do plan to go travelling (somewhat of a lifelong dream) and feel that'll really help with personal development, but in the way of professional development (both as a means to become better at the job and reason why I've a year gap on my CV) I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion of what to do with the other half of the year?

I've not much experience with SEN, so would that be good? How about supply? I'd really welcome people's suggestions or experiences with this. Thanks.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Personally I'd try and find a job and let 'fate' decide, only 56% of NQTs got a post last year so there are no guarantees for anyone. You have early July-Sept to travel and you still have another 7 months in school to 'grow'.
    Supply is erratic unless you find a school that will keep requesting you, its a rollercoaster financially too.
    Only you can decide but you have to remember you'll be competing with a new batch of trainees the year after who know all the current policies etc etc and may be preferred. Hope it works out for the best whatever you decide.