1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Year 1 based question...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by raspberryswirls, Jun 27, 2011.

1. raspberryswirls

raspberryswirls New commenter

I'm just about to start writing my reports using the guidelines from school, and we have set language to use regarding the pupils levels.
    Poor = 1c and below
    Developing = 1b
    Satisfactory = 1a
    Good = 2c
    Excellent = 2a.
    Whilst I agree with the higher end of the scale, I would have assumed 1b is also satisfactory at the end of Year 1? I was just wondering what other people's opinions were.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not really. A 1b at the end of year one, would give a 2c at the end of year two with good progress.2b and above is what is expected, a 2a in some schools.

Developing sounds about right though.

Do you seriously write that a child in year 1 has attained a 'poor' standard though?

3. We go with 1b as average for the end of Year 1 in our school. The reason for this is that an average reception child is on point 5-6 on the EYFS profile at the end of the year, so to go from this to 1a is expecting at least 3 sub levels, if not more, as point 9 on the scale is supposed to be equivalent to 1c. This does transfer the pressure for 3 sub levels to Year 2, but the school has found that children are more able to do this as they have got to grips with the fundamentals of reading and writing. (Obviously quite a few are 1a and above when they come up to Year 2.)
    If they are under the expected level in KS1, we would write ' despite working below the expected level X has made......' 1c might be very good progress for a child who came up with a very low profile score.

4. We would say a 1b is on target as if they make a sublevel's progress each term this will mean that they are a 2b at the end of year 2. Year 1 - 1b, Year 2 autumn - 1a, Year 2 spring - 2c, Year 2 summer - 2b. Most of ours achieve more than this but we would say that statistically the children on a 1b at the end of Year 1 are on track.

5. I also think poor is not a very nice term...we say progressing with support!!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

So most of your children make 3 sublevels progress in year 2? WOW!

I'm moving to year 2 in September and that thought scares me a bit.

7. raspberryswirls

It's just to report the levels achieved in relation to the national averages, the teacher comments can then reflect the progress made by the individual in more positive language so long as it doesn't mislead the parents. It's the best report format I've seen so far in my career, but I agree that 'poor' does seem a little harshly worded. 'Significantly below' has a better ring, whilst still saying the same thing. For example, a child started with a P5 in Literacy, and is now 1c. Still 'significantly below national average' but a massive personal progression.

8. raspberryswirls

Minnieminx - most pupils start Y1 with an FSP score of 6/7. So to achieve 1a at the end of Y1 is to also make at least 3 sub-levels of progress, which is why I feel that a 1b is a satisfactory level at the end of Y1. Granted though, moving from 2c to 2b is a huge step which can take some pupils at least a term.

On a side note, I'm moving into KS2 next year after a few years of Y1 assessment confusion and stress. I've loved being in Y1, but I can't express how relieved I'll be to have standardised assessment levels and systems to work from!

9. Hi Minnie
    I've just finished doing the levels. They do seem to make more progress in Year 2 at our school and historically always seem to. Not absolutely sure why. I know Year 1 fought very hard to have 1b given as the average. I have to admit they haven't all made 3 sub levels, but most have. The progress was questioned last year, so the head requested moderation from county who confirmed the progress. I do have a couple who have only made 1 sub level though, which is a bit depressing. I do have a fewe who have made startling progress and I just think they weren't quite ready to take off in Year 1. I do feel the pressure of though as in most years 2 sub levels would be fine and it does mean that some children have gone from being at the expected level in Year 1 to under it in Year 2 despite making good progress. I guess that extra one sub level has to come in somewhere.

10. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

I would never dream of sending a child up to Year 2 with a 2a even if they were. Where is the year 2 teacher supposed to take them to? I would get my ar*e kicked. I have risked a 2b in the past (what a rebel).

11. raspberryswirls

A lot of children in our school do show dramatic progress in Y2 too, but I think that has to do with them becoming more mature and independent in their learning. A lot of Y1 is about learning to 'learn', as it were, and developing those skills. I've a number of children who are 1b this year, who just aren't ready intellectually and socially to work independently enough to achieve a 1a, for example choosing a suitable calculation strategy in numeracy without adult support. However, I fully expect it to 'click' for them in Y2, and would expect them to be at least 2b at the end of next year.