1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A working rocket?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by char2505, Oct 20, 2011.

1. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Anyone got an idea how to make a mini working rocket, please? Seen descriptions for ones usign film cannister, but proving tricky in digital age! Not mad keen on doing big plastic bottle/mentos one, want ed somethng pretty small scale.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas!

2. Your local camera shop will probably still have some empty film canisters from their customers who still use film - it's worth popping into several and asking before giving up hope. Failing that, aim high - if there's a good toy or model shop around you should be able to buy an Estes model rocket kit complete with launch pad and rocket motors. And safety instructions! You'll need a big field. Ours is huge and I've still lost several.

3. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Great idea, thanks!

4. hi there,
    i have done the film canister rockets with groups before - its great and they love it!! It does work really well, as previously said - pop into a local boots or camera shop and ask for the empty canisters , i did and got a whole bag full, my local place was more than happy to recycle them. just try them out first because i recall that there were two types given to me and one was better than the other. the better one was the one which didn't fit so tightly and therefore popped off better- sending the rocket higher. i cant recall which effervescent tablets i used ( sorry ) but they were tablets and half a tablet was sufficient for one rocket.( i actually managed to get some out of date ones from a small local shop really cheaply as they were not for consumption) we decorated the rockets with little paper sleeves and cones and then measured how far each one went. you may want to put something on the floor to mop up the mess as they go up!!
    hope that helps. good luck and enjoy!