1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A word mind mapping game - yes, I am abusing you again.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, May 6, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

breakfast: fotoor, but also iftar, one of the many Arabic words that are related by use of the 3 root letters. In this case the root letter are f, t, r, hence fotoor and iftar. Iftar is the usual name used for the breaking of the fast after dusk in Ramadan.

2. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

In a lot of African languages (East and South), Nyama is a general catch all for all types of meat, generally nyama choma will suffice as any meat that has come off a fire or barbeque. There are obviously names for all the different animals, but nyama covers everything easily. There are also names for all the different offal, again, these are not really defined in terms of the animal they came from.
    One interesting one is maize porridge which has many different names depending upon the refinement and thickness of the porridge in either a local language, or in some cases Afrikaans in SA. So for example, if it's just pap I don't like it, but if its Krummle pap, Staver pap (not sure of spelling) or putu I would eat it (Krummle - almost like couscous grain texture, staver is just short of that, putu is 'homeground' so it has added texture), mealie pap is also known as sadza, ugali, unga, nshima, Isitshwala in various places depending upon the language that is prevalent locally, but generally most people will understand most variations.

3. All this is fascinating stuff!
    Speaking of Afrikaans, evil, that reminds me of my Great Aunt, born and bred there and she can speak that clicking tongue thing (is there a proper word for it? I vaguely recollect her saying it begins with an x...). She learnt it as a wee girl from the house maid (oh for our sins!) and it sounds amazing. Not a clue what she is talking about, mind.

4. a bit like Krümmel, then? (German for crumb)