1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A word I hate...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by legoearth, Jul 26, 2011.

1. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Having just finished reading the thread on holidays a word has just come back to me that I absolutely loathe. STAYCATION! I have never had a holiday abroad I have always holidayed in Wales or Devon but I never have nor ever will have a staycation! WHO INVENTS THESE STUPID WORDS!!!

2. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Having just finished reading the thread on holidays a word has just come back to me that I absolutely loathe. STAYCATION! I have never had a holiday abroad I have always holidayed in Wales or Devon but I never have nor ever will have a staycation! WHO INVENTS THESE STUPID WORDS!!!

3. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Sounds horribly american.

4. A holiday in Wales or Devon is not a stayvation. A staycation is where you stay in your own home, take time off work but do holiday things like go to theme parks, museums, a day at the beach - all the things you may do if you were on holiday.

I agree I'm not keen on the word, but do we have an alternative?

5. Used to be called 'going out for days' by some people. Fewer people went 'away' on holiday anyway.
    I don't call it anything. Haven't been away on holiday since 2005.