1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A whole school fun day based around design and technology

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Squidia, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I need pointing in the right direction...please!
    After recently having my performance management meeting I suggested that I would plan a day at school based around Design and Technology. I am quite excited at the thought of plannning such a day...but i really don't have a clue where to start.

I am in a primary school...so it would have to be keystage appropriate.

Has anyone planned such a day for primary? if so how did you approach this idea?

Please note Design and Technology is far from 'my subject' expertise!

Many thanks in advance
    [​IMG]

2. Hello,
    I need pointing in the right direction...please!
    After recently having my performance management meeting I suggested that I would plan a day at school based around Design and Technology. I am quite excited at the thought of plannning such a day...but i really don't have a clue where to start.

I am in a primary school...so it would have to be keystage appropriate.

Has anyone planned such a day for primary? if so how did you approach this idea?

Please note Design and Technology is far from 'my subject' expertise!

Many thanks in advance
    [​IMG]

3. warfare? - Catapults/trebouchets/castles/armour/lots of dressing up
    bridges? - transport/build a bridge/testing/team activity with planks of wood
    greenhouses? - structures/geodesic structures/System control
    drama? - Stage lighting/costumes/prop making

4. Well, I'm based in Secondary, not Primary, but I do have some experience with 6-10 year olds, so, here's some ideas.....

- Tallest tower competitions - newspaper and sticky tape, they need to make a tower that's self supporting
    - Packaging - designing packaging for something like a chocolate bar/easter egg/etc - either start with the basic shape drawn out for them to colour in and do 2D, or start with a net and then they can make a box etc
    - Finger puppets - use felt, and glue to hold it together - they can do some quick designing too, and if they work together as a class they can be used to make up a story (everyone doing a different character etc)
    - Artstraw/Matchstick models - pick a topic, let them design something, then make it up out of artstraws etc
    Hope these are helpful to start?