1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A website that may be of interest.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Duke of York, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I came across https://www.seriouseats.com/ today. It's a website for people who are interested in cooking, but does it in a different way to most. It takes a bit of getting used to, insofar as it attempts to explain the science behind what goes on in the various cooking processes, dispel long-held myths about the only way to cook X properly is to... and gives sensible objective and independent information in what to look for in kitchen appliances and utensils. It's got recipes you might fancy having a go at and even tells you everything you need to know about boiling water.

Check it out and enjoy surfing the site.

primarycat and colacao17 like this.
  2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Thanks. Just had a quick look and it looks interesting.

3. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

I like that website more than I expected to and tomorrow will make hash browns ;)

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

An interesting comment I picked up was that a number of cookery myths come about through professional chefs describing how they cook food, without taking into account the pressures of cooking in a busy restaurant differ from cooking for one or two in a home environment where time isn't at a premium.

The notion that it's wrong to regularly turn a steak only holds water if you're cooking a dozen of them at once and can't keep track of how each order is doing, but their trials demonstated that a regularly turned steak was superior.

The notion that pasta needs to be cooked in a large pan of boiling water is scientificaly flawed, because it takes longer for a large pan to return to the boil after the pasta is added than it does for a small pan, and in any case, so they say, you'll get just as good pasta if youput it into cold water and bring it to the boil.

I'm not advocating that their advice is better or that we should all change the habits of a lifetime, Just that it's refreshing to have a different take on cooking that challenges the veracity of cooking dogmas and seeks evidence for both why they might have become the accepted norm and whether in practice they are helpful to the keen home cook.

Let's face it, cooking is pretty much like religion and for some, serves the same purpose. My mother was a wonderful cook, but every meal she cooked at home had seven covers to serve, and when she was put in charge of a factory canteen, she'd have cooked for around 100 men.

Nobody ever said she wasn't up the the job or complained about her food, but it's a question of scale on what it's possible to do do the best you can for a crowd or whether it's the best way to cook to perfection at home.

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

sounds interesting, I will enjoy looking at this, thank you