1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A way of remembering how to calculate with fractions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by talulabell, Jan 25, 2016.

1. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

My year 6 are getting in a muddle with fractions the main issue tis when asked to multiply a fraction and the next question is add they get the methods confused. Has anyone come across a way such as a rhyme, a song a youtube clip etc of a simple way to remember how to add, multiply, subtract and divide fractions please. Thank you

2. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

My class love songs - they like one on YouTube sung by the Washington lot, type in Fractions Washington, its the first option. For dividing they like Dividing Fractions Keep Change Flip song. In fact they asked me for it today and Friday! Worth a look. It is catchy though. Watch out!

3. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

A little too catchy:

4. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

like that one, the kids will tomorrow wish they had one for addition and subtraction!

5. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 Occasional commenter

Try MathAntics on Youtube. He is very good, fast paced and very animated. A good one off.

6. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

How about practising a multiplication, an addition, a division and a subtraction every day as a starter?