1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

A Wait Too Long?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Chica21, Apr 3, 2012.

  1. I was given the impression immediately after an interview that all the employer had to do was check my references and if they all turn out OK then the job is mine. The thing is, it's been three weeks now and the employer has told me they're just waiting on a couple of references and should "probably" get back to me next week.

    This is concerning me because I'm passing up other offers. Does it often take so long? Could the employer be keeping me hanging on just in case something else doesn't work out? I never imagined it would take so long and I'm getting nervous!
     
  2. I was given the impression immediately after an interview that all the employer had to do was check my references and if they all turn out OK then the job is mine. The thing is, it's been three weeks now and the employer has told me they're just waiting on a couple of references and should "probably" get back to me next week.

    This is concerning me because I'm passing up other offers. Does it often take so long? Could the employer be keeping me hanging on just in case something else doesn't work out? I never imagined it would take so long and I'm getting nervous!
     
  3. What I've come to realise is that if you have a job in hand, you probably take it, even if a school has told you "you've got it." There are SO many variables that can change an employer's mind (am I right, here, SMT?) so if you really want this post, then tell them that you have an offer from another school (if you do) and you need to decide. This may force their hand, or it may not, but at least you will have a better idea when turning a job offer down.
     
  4. Forgot...I wanted to ask the SMT members on here: do you purposely NOT tell the second (and/or third) choices that they have been unsuccessful when you choose your first choice? Or do you let them hang around until the first choice makes a decision?
     
  5. Thanks Fred, I would take the 'one in the hand' if I had at least half the level of excitement I do about the one that's not in the hand. I suppose I'm taking a gamble. Is it normal to wait so long though?
     
  6. MisterMaker

    MisterMaker Occasional commenter

    Will sometimes leave them hanging for a week or two if not sure about first choice. Once first choice signs, let them know.
     
  7. Thanks MisterMaker...that's what I thought, but SOMETIMES I really wish a Head would tell me earlier, rather than later. Much can happen in one or two weeks, especially during the heavy recruitment period. I understand, though, the Head's position in trying to make sure the second choice stays available just in case.
     
  8. aridion

    aridion New commenter

    Chica, I am in exactly the same situation. I haven't heard a thing from my potential employers. I sent them an e-mail and I got the response that they are going over my application.
     
  9. The job starts Aug 1st though, do Head's really leave it that late to confirm a position?
     

Share This Page