1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A virtual (online/Flash/Java) form of Numicon?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mature_maths_trainee, Mar 22, 2012.

1. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

I know that it might lack the true physicality of actual 'bits of plastic', but has anyone found, or considered creating, a virtual form of numicon? Given that it costs a fortune for just one copy, wouldn't it make sense to have a much cheaper version running on PCs (or laptops, or iPods, whatever).
    Does anyone fully understand the legal/patent position? What patents does/might Numicon themselves have? Would they be infringed by a software/virtual version? Would they even be infringed by a *free* (i.e. non-commercial) piece of software? I'm respectful of genuine patents and people's IPR, I cannot imagine there is any (legally valid) 'invention' in the core concept of numicon (coloured, shaped bits of plastic with holes?) - which is surely all that needs to be replicated in such an app.

I'd imagine it'd be very easy to write an app that achieved 90%+ of numicon's functionality (albeit in a less 'physical' form - which might well be what Numicon claim to be a critically important feature of its (apparent) success. In fact, some of our colleagues in the ICT forum could probably knock it up in the same way as dexterwilliams recently developed a version of another Maths app idea I proposed there.
    [I don't know how effective numicon actually is, but rather than (maths departments?) in Primary schools spending a fortune 'exploring' and 'evaluating' it, mightn't a virtual version be more appropriate?
    Anyone found one online already?

2. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

I know that it might lack the true physicality of actual 'bits of plastic', but has anyone found, or considered creating, a virtual form of numicon? Given that it costs a fortune for just one copy, wouldn't it make sense to have a much cheaper version running on PCs (or laptops, or iPods, whatever).
    Does anyone fully understand the legal/patent position? What patents does/might Numicon themselves have? Would they be infringed by a software/virtual version? Would they even be infringed by a *free* (i.e. non-commercial) piece of software? I'm respectful of genuine patents and people's IPR, I cannot imagine there is any (legally valid) 'invention' in the core concept of numicon (coloured, shaped bits of plastic with holes?) - which is surely all that needs to be replicated in such an app.

I'd imagine it'd be very easy to write an app that achieved 90%+ of numicon's functionality (albeit in a less 'physical' form - which might well be what Numicon claim to be a critically important feature of its (apparent) success. In fact, some of our colleagues in the ICT forum could probably knock it up in the same way as dexterwilliams recently developed a version of another Maths app idea I proposed there.
    [I don't know how effective numicon actually is, but rather than (maths departments?) in Primary schools spending a fortune 'exploring' and 'evaluating' it, mightn't a virtual version be more appropriate?
    Anyone found one online already?

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I think the physicality is very important for young children.
    I helped in year 1 classroom the other day, where four activities were going on. Any of them could have been implemented on computers: I don't think that would necessarily have improved any of them.