1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A video that shows why teachers are going out of their minds

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Skeptical_John, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Skeptical_John

Skeptical_John New commenter

2. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Coming soon to an Academy near you!

snowflakesfalling likes this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Just forwarded the link to a pal who was, until recently, a High School principal in Chicago . Hopefully he will be able to tell me if this is the norm.

4. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Rote learning. Used to be a favourite of Mr Gove?

download-6.jpg

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

This was doing the rounds on FB a while back.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Posted the link on a US teachers forum and the responses so far say that is isn't unusual to get this sort of CPD over there.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Good grief! I never had to sit through something quite as mind numbing as that.
    I wouldn't teach kids that way! If I had done so some of the children with fewer inhibitions than those teachers would have given a pithy response!

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We have had the occassional bit of CPD like that and everyone walked out.

9. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

The words brainwashing and robots spring to mind.

10. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

LOL It's a bit Kaganesque. But hey, repetition, it's one way. My kids would laugh me out of the room if I tried it.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well there have been 9 responses on the US website and 8 of them say that they have experienced CPD like this!

12. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I know a lot of education fads go round in circles and come back with a different name but rote learning has to be out their with Halley's comet.
    Come to think of it maybe this is part of government strategy getting rid of experienced staff - new staff think rote learning is the best thing since sliced bread. Desperate times.

13. drek

drek Star commenter

I have experienced CPD like it in the UK. We were all lined up and recorded on camera by the external person deliverng the CPD. They are currently on a million(s) pound contract to spread this sort of rubbish.
    We were all quite frankly disgusted. We had a new curriculum to develop resources for overnight. Standing and chanting carp in a poor imitation of japanese car manufacturing production lines was pathetic! The Japanese management used performance management threats to make their workers perform like that!
    So do the North Koreans and the Chinese.
    Are we also planning to accept human rights violations as normal to improve the economy or improve morale or improve this or that!
    Rant over - the whole thing rankles and I planned my exit strategy that very day!