1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A van I saw this evening...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Was oddly marked with the company name of "Cameron Sons, Builders". I say oddly, because Cameron Brothers would be a more typical company name, as would Cameron & Sons.

What do you speculate the reason behind this unusual naming to be? Did Old Man Cameron invest in a business for his sons and wanted it to be known he had? Were the sons fed up with the way Cameron & Sons was being run, bought their father out, but wanted to retain as much of the goodwill the business name had brought their hard work?

Any other ideas?

Why do you think it is that "Daughters" rarely appear in company names? Would it not be more politically correct these days for businesses to have "Offspring" instead?

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

How about Cameron & Family? A bit like Christmas cards, when you write 'and fsmily' to avoid naming each child on the card.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I looked at their website. Just says it's a family firm.

Too cheapskate to invest in an ampersand?

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Maybe his name is Cameron Sons

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Perhaps they build sons?

6. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I don't care but I'll let you know why.

7. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I do all my building myself.