1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A unit on babies

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sarahprice87, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hey all,
    I work at an international school teaching the equivalent of reception. We have noticed that a lot of our mothers are pregnant or have just had babies this year (at least 5 in every class and we have a 4 stream year level) so we are well and truly in the middle of a baby boom!
    As a result we are wanting to do a mini unit on babies going for about 2 weeks. Does anybody have any suggestions on what we could teach/cover it would be appreciated as we are starting from scratch and will be planning it next week sometime!
    Sarah

2. It would be lovely if some of the new mums could come in with their babies and talk, answer questions, bath/ feed/ change nappy etc. Children could bring in pictures of themselves as babies and talk about how they have changed since then, what they have learned to do etc. all good for KUW sense of time. Role play could be a baby clinic; baby clothes could be washed and pegged up in the water area ( matching socks/ talking about size etc) and dollies washed of course. You could talk about growth and measure dolls and children There are lots of lovely books about new babies, for instance 'Rosie's Babies' (by Martin Wadell I think) and my favourite, 'Ben's Baby' by Michael Foreman, good because it's about a boy (it could be a bit of a girl topic if you are not careful), and it also illustrates the natural changes through the year. There's also a Titch book, in which his mum is pregnant, called 'You'll Soon Grow into Them', see it at http://www.harpercollins.com/browseinside/index.aspx?isbn13=9780688115074. Design and make rattles, baby toys, cradles and buggies. Gosh, wish I was doing the topic!

3. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

4. Thank you both for your replies!! Have now got a lot of great ideas and I am really looking forward to this unit

Sarah :)

5. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Once there were Giants by Martin Wadell is another book you could read. My class listened transfixed when I read it a few weeks ago.
    Also
    (Author) which is about all sorts of baby animals as well as humans. It is excellent for introducing the idea that we too are animals- a very tricky concept for many children!

6. Hi you could do a timeline of what you could do when you were born, 1 ,2 ,3, 4 etc, you could look at scan pictures and talk about body parts. In Music you could think about lullabies, learn different ones from different cultures, sing them and compose your own. You could look at different naming ceremonies such as christenings etc. Baby clothes & toys then and now, I love doing this topic its quite meaty and could easily last more than two weeks. Have fun with it, if I remember anymore I'll post later.