1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A tutoring guru

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by AshgarMary, Jun 11, 2018.

1. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Has anyone else received a very abusive email from a certain guru who portrays himself as helping you get highly paid tutees (whose site was recommended somewhere on here in the past few months but I can't find the relevant post now)?
    He sends some advice emails out then, as to be expected, tries to sell a personal mentoring programme or some such.
    Having not been enamoured with some of his advice - along the lines of 'doesn't matter if you don't know your subject' blah blah, I didn't sign up for it. I then received a very abusive email sent to all who didn't sign up including several uses of the colloquial term best defined as 'knowledge in the biblical sense'.
    Anyway, I unsubscribed (giving a reason in the reason box) and also reported it as abuse.
    Just wondered if anyone else had received it and felt the same about it?

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Well said, @AshgarMary. To repeat myself for everyone's benefit, a successful tutor does not train their competition at any price.

If a person has expertise & subject knowledge then they can learn to grow their own business. There are no shortcuts Avoid predatory chanchers.

border_walker likes this.
  3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I remember seeing this the other week and thinking why would you need someone to help you

border_walker likes this.
  4. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

I can see the point of seeking some kind of advice if you are new to a particular locality and are not a 'known teacher'. When I tutored 20 years ago, you could put cards up in shop windows or an advert in a free newspaper (though from some of the calls I got back then, some people had very bizarre ideas of what 'Maths and Physics A-level' meant! ) but now noone puts cards in windows (at least not in my town) and we don't have free newspapers anymore. So it's a bit harder to get your name around.

5. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

Just checked my emails since I haven't seen any of his spam for a while.

Ooohhh dear the tone of his emails has completely changed. My cod psychology mind makes me feel that he is someone who is in desperate need himself.

I've unsubscribed. I always thought it was a gimmick, at least now I am 100% sure of it.

The link was something about RWorld's Journey to get 10 students a week for £20 each or something. That was probably a scam too.

6. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

To be honest, I really don't mind giving advice to tutors who ask me for help, regardless of whether they are in my area or not. It can be tough (for some) to know about all the channels you can go through to get your name out there. I don't ever feel it has hindered my own tuition income. In fact, it has made it easier for me as I tend to get recommended more for it!

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Out local Tesco has a place where people put such cards - I don't know how many people read them. And we have a couple of newsagents with cards, and our local butcher seems happy to have fliers for music tuition. Perhaps it is worth asking.

8. Vince_Ulam

Unfortunately scammer now has some of your data. Deep scan your hard drives and beef up your passwords.

thekizzaa likes this.
  9. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

Yes it was a link in a post near the end of that thread. The link has been removed by the moderators. The thread went on for several months with some quite long posts, so if it was a scam all leading up to posting that link it was quite elaborate.

10. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

Purposely used my "spam email" account!

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  11. Vince_Ulam

No links clicked, I hope.

12. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

Actually looking at RWorld's, thread again and the way they supposedly suddenly go from no students to having too many after contacting the guru, I think it most likely is a scam.

doctoryes likes this.
  13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Established commenter

Imagine the responses you might have got if your had taught MFL?;)

14. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Established commenter

On the board in our local Tesco, last Saturday, there were five cards from people offering tuition in maths and science.

15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Let's face it - many of us would be willing to give tips to people who may even be our rivals, but I doubt if any of us have the time or inclination to set up a website, type out multiple emails etc. Especially when they have so much tutoring to do!

16. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Interesting. A few years ago I tried this in the Enfield Town Tesco and my cards disappeared faster than snow in July.

However, when it comes to this kind of advertising I think the kind of area you are in is a very large determinant of how successful it will be. In Christchurch, New Zealand, I was very successful just putting up free adverts in a few supermarkets and shopping malls. But even prominent adverts in quite a few shop windows in Enfield yielded next to nothing, because most of the people around here don't value education, as is evidenced by the appalling quality of almost all the local schools.

17. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

We don't have any 'community notice boards' in the three supermarkets in my town. There is one such board in a local newsagent but it is hidden in an inaccessible corner and not visible through the shop window! The cards on it look yellow with age.
    Someone moved into our town recently and I was talking to her and she had come from a town somewhere in the Cotswolds I think where everyone used to check the local paper for ads so it was very successful. She's found it doesn't work here.
    Yes, very dependent on where you live.
    Facebook is probably best where I live though judging from the posts in our local 'secret' FB group - it doesn't do to upset anyone (whether you're mending a hem or walking a dog for a living!)