1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A turn up for the books

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Dec 30, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Today I shall sing the praises for Tesco.
    Read that again.
    We placed our weekly order yesterday...
    I have to confess that since I chose a lifestyle of semi-retirement, I have to keep tabs on what gets spent. These days, it's a rare thing to buy a beef joint, but as we have the New Year to celebrate, I was tempted by a Tesco offer for a pack of beef rib on the bone at half price. £6.99 to be precise.
    Ok, I knew it wasn't going to be the best, but when you've been starved of roast beef for a long time, it's tempting.
    The delivery arrived and it turns out there is one substitution. My rib of beef. Initially, I said to the driver I didn't want the substitution. He said it would be in a blue bag, there were no blue bags, but a hall full of Tesco bags to hunt through for the substitution so I said leave it for now. I didn't have my glasses with me so I didn't know what the substitution was.
    Unpacking though, I came across a massive piece of Tesco Finest sirloin which looks like it was well hung. I checked the price on the pack, £30 odd quid, which is way out of my league. Price on the paperwork, £9.99 and £20 odd quid discount for the substitution.
    I think they are trying to win me over, and if they continue with this tactic, I'll keep my opinions about them quiet.

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

A few years ago, there was severe weather here (surely not! [​IMG]) and my Christmas delivery didn't make it here. As it happens, we all go to my mum's so my "Christmas" shop is actually smaller than usual, no turkey or anything desperately urgent. Anyway, Tesco said they'd send me a £10 e voucher to make up for the disappointment. They sent me an email but the voucher wasn't attached, so I contacted them again, so they added another tenner. This continued all week until finally, they sorted the email rpoblem, and gave me £60 e vouchers to make up for all the inconvenience! The following week they sent me a mouldy ham (for New Year) and sent me another £20. And a Merry New Year was had by all!