1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A trip down memory lane

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, May 18, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I had a pleasant morning revisiting this thread.

I came across it accidentally when I was searching for something. I was struck by how friendly and engaging it was to lots of posters, many of whom, often seem to be at each other's throats these days. I noticed lots of usernames who contributed to the thread, but seem to have disappeared since 2016 brought the contentious issue of Brexit. How do we recapture the mood on here that this thread typified?

cissy3 and Mangleworzle like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We can't - the "golden years" of TES from about 2002 to 2012 are long gone.

But it's still not too bad on here sometimes

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Thanks for that DoY, I just had a scan through it and agree it was nice to engage so many in a positive way. I tend to avoid music threads these days as I get lost when people post about ten songs in one go and then another ten half an hour later. Forcing a slow pace along with explanations made it particularly engaging.

2015, so not that long ago.

cissy3 and Duke of York like this.
  4. Duke of York

I'm not so sure those days are long gone, @peakster. We occasionally get threads that spark the imagination and are popular and uncontroversial. Threads where opinions aren't required and can engage everyone.

@BertieBassett2 began a thread last year about alternative meanings behind song titles which worked well and the post a random photograph thread was another popular one.

We just don't get enough of them.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes - but do you remember the wars and the vitriol that used to rage on opinion of a Saturday night.

There were some serious loonies on these boards then.

6. Duke of York

Yes, I remember it well, just as I also remember Gigi. I never had a problem with Opinion though, as some claim they did. I have more of a problem with the argumentative types taking over Personal, which was once a haven for those that couldn't handle Opinion.

cissy3 likes this.