1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A tricky question - for all you TOKers!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, Apr 27, 2011.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

2. I like the cut of your jib, Cap'n. So, another: If it takes a week to walk a fortnight, how many apples are there in a pound of grapes.

3. groovybob

groovybob New commenter

None........ unless it is a leap year. J

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Please tell me you don't teach ToK, or indded any IBDP subject. If you do, I pity your students.
    The two questions you gave may be relevant to KS2 gifted and talented starter programmes, but not IBDP.

5. Buttles

Buttles New commenter

I recognise these questions from a banking seminar many years ago entitled "Blue Sky Thinking: How Credit Derivatives will make us all secure".

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I used to teach ToK and I still do some assessments for a friend and colleague who likes to have her students' internal assignments externally moderated. I've also taught English, History, Music, Physics, even Swimming but never, alas, Indded.
    The first of the two questions given above has a smidgin of merit because it challenges the student to eliminate the irrelevant. The second is just bbiblox.

7. MisterMaker

Ever the bloody pedant! Still not forgiven you for suggesting I was linked to bbbbblider[​IMG]
    The small merit for Q1 is why I suggested KS2 G&T intro level. Agree with you on the stupid Q2.
    I have five bullets in my gun aimed at the OP. How many days does he have to live if the chicken crosses the road on a Sunday?

8. Misterbater:

It was all part of an attempt to see who would give the most haughty and dismissive answer. We had a bit of a bet on which regular would get on his high horse and pontificate. My mate won a tenner on you! He sends his regards.

9. Mainwaring

Apologies. Of course you're not bbabbler. I really meant Clovis.

10. MisterMaker

Tsk!
    On an unrelated matter, your Spanish seems to be better than mine. Does this make sense to you? I wrote in in another forum in response to some idiot trying to be offensive to the working classes, but not sure if it translates well. Let me know what it translates like and I'll tell you what I meant to say.
    Larga vida a los grandes líderes revolucionarios y soldados! Puede final imperial excusas por la espada.
    The OP is a bit of a DIck, isn't he. I really can't be bothered to respond to his last post.

11. Mainwaring

I understand the first sentence (Long life to the revolutionary leaders and soldiers!)
    I understand each word of this one but I don't know what you mean by the sentence as a whole. As it stands it (more or less) reads as 'He/she/it can final imperial excuses for the sword.' Do you mean 'find'?

12. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Yes.
    Una cositita de mierda lo que no te puedo contar lo peque-peque que es, pobrecito.
    I am not, obviously, referring to the revolutionary 'espada' wielded by Juan Domingo Peron, Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez and other heroes.

13. MisterMaker

I was trying yo say something like: end the imperial excuses by the sword.
    Yes, even in English it may not be totally coherent.

14. Mainwaring

¡Vivan los líderes y los soldados de la Revolución!
    ¡Con la espada del Pueblo terminemos los pretextos del imperialismo!

Right. (or Left, rather). I'm off to the barricades. Hasta luego.

15. Ahí nos vemos.

16. Mainwaring

I knew I could count on you.
    Why do these inflammatory slogans (a Gaelic word BTW) sound so much better in Spanish?
    One of my favourites, seen on the Teatro Nacional in Santa Ana, El Salvador, was '¡Exigimos a Cristiani a firmar el cese de fuego! He signed it the following day, so these things obviously work.

17. Seems everyone forgot the gentlemen's agreement to translate any foreign boolards into Ing-a-laise....
    Particularly upset with you, M. Still, the years chip away at the memory, eh?

18. Mainwaring

The years have made me bitter, the gargle dims my brain...
    My mind's too full of memories, too old to hear new chimes
    I'm part of what was Dublin in the rare ould times.

19. johnnersco

johnnersco New commenter

Have been following the recent TOK threads with great interest. I have a few years of teaching ToK (3 to be precise and am still learning...I am a History teacher by training and inclination). How do experts deal with the ït is only worth 1 point on the diploma, so why should I bother?