1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

a tricky part time timetable

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by sanriku, Jul 10, 2016.

1. sanriku

sanriku New commenter

Hi there.

I am an NQT on a part time contract, due to finish NQT next academic year. This year I came back from mat leave to a very tricky timetable, with 10 groups spread over 15 classes. I managed to change a little bit to get it down to 9, and was promised that next year would be more consolidated. I've recently received the timetable to see that I will now have 12 groups over 16 lessons! (Also one over timetable but that is another story and shall be told another time...) 6 lessons are with 4 different year 11 groups. Is this typical for part time staff? I'm struggling to see how I will cope, TBH. Important to note that I have been observed with shared classes for which I did not have responsibility for marking, made this clear to observer and was still marked down for books not being up to date.

Any comments or advice gratefully received.

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I would hope your HoD is doing everything they can to get this timetable improved too. It's probably worth you sitting down with the department timetable and seeing what can be improved by making some swaps.

(Were you actually properly covered last year, or did the timetable arise because they just gave every group one lesson of supply cover?)

3. sanriku

sanriku New commenter

kimlut1985 likes this.
  4. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I've known part time colleagues have split classes, usually because after allocating KS4 groups so none of those are split between teachers the KS3 ends up filling in the gaps so to speak.

I'd imagine from a HOD perspective this is a nightmare for them too because they'll have been the middle person in all of this.
    This is what I wondered. I've known people to leave or go on mat leave and for the timetable to be 're-jigged' so that staff on gained time pick up odd hours all over the place, groups get collapsed to minimise cover etc. Every time I've heard this happen there's been a HOD trying their best to get proper staffing and they've been overruled by SLT.

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

the computerised timetabling system has made a right mess in many schools. The comment above about this will probably be improved by September is probably going to turn out true.
    With my Maths background I would love to do timetabling, just the sort of real life puzzle that I enjoy.
    If it is not changed, do your best to cope, it will be like being a Computing teacher in many schools where every child gets just one lesson.
    Not clear what subject you are?
    We sorted this sort of thing in maths by getting the one lesson teacher to teach something distinct such as Mental Maths. O
    Alternatively they had a separate book and taught their own "topics" once a week over a longer period. That would solve the books not being marked issue for you. By the end of the year, the cost for exercise books is exactly the same, they just last longer.
    If you do have to share books, can you get children to work at the back end of the book for you?
    If that is not possible, then go through books and add an initial/stamp to show who taught which lesson.

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Doesn't sound like it would be great for the kids either. Are you in a non-state school? And what subject? I ask because I've heard of Cinderella subjects at non-LA schools being treated like this. If it could affect your career, would you want to seek legal advice/union about the accusations of failing to mark? I don't know, and understand you can't say much-but I'd check this out if you're unsure.

7. saluki

saluki Established commenter

This could work in English or History. Teachers just teach different texts/topics. Year 11 - GCSE, this can work very well. Plus, you only have to stick with it until May; 7 months.