1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

A tricky one...how do you know if a school is able to take NQTs?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by nightowl1980, Feb 6, 2012.

  1. I'm currently at IoE doing my Secondary English PGCE and I've just been offered a job for Sept 2012 (woohoo!). However...

    The school is charity-funded, it is for "disengaged" students (don't you love such an enigmatic term!) and currently has Year 10 and Year 11s on managed moves out of mainstream schools from 5 London boroughs. They're studying for their GCSEs and their current English teacher will be leaving at the end of Summer Term 2012.

    My question is, what does a school need to be able to give QTS? I wanted to do my NQT year straightaway and feel like I need some more background, any background on how/which schools are qualified to sanction QTS. The school are looking into this too but I'd like to find out what I can as well.

    Any advice would be so very gratefully received.

    Thanks, Emma.
  2. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Firstly to clarify QTS is gained as a result of your ITT programme at the Institute and passing the requisite skills tests. The induction year is the first year of teaching in an organisation that offers a statutory induction. A range of schools can offer induction including Academies, Free schools and Independents.What they must have is a formal arrangement with an Appropriate Body -usually an LA- in order to offer a statutory induction period. They then offer the reduced timetable/mentor support and all the other elements of an induction programme and register NQTS with the AB and send the termly reports to their induction coordinator. There is a charge for these services so it is the Head who should be able to answer your question about whether they will offer induction.
    Have a look at the TDA site and download the induction guidance for future reference
  3. My Welsh friend has summed it up, but the easiest way to find out is to contact the Local Authority and check if they are aware of teh school and if the school is registered with them for induction - from what you describe it may well be that they are unable to offer inductionm if the school wishes to they would need to register with either the LA who will say if they can or cannot or the Independent Schools Council Teacher Induction Panel that does the same job as an LA buit for the private school sector. You can of course ask the school if they are registered as a school with the DfE - that would be a first step to offereing inductuion - if they are not registered as a school with the DfE then the short answer would be that they would not be able to offer induction.
    To reinforce the QTS is granbted at the end of your training not your NQT year - the induction process is necessary for you to conti9ne as a teacher in a state maintained school and to be paid as a qualified teacher.

Share This Page