1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A thread to share time saving tips in the classroom

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tired teacher, Jul 27, 2008.

1. When pens/ glue sticks run out never throw away the tops, save them as spares then whenever any go missing you only need to get out one of the spares and don't need to waste time looking!

2. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

My son is in KS2 and has just pointed out that his teacher puts on an audio book when he 'needs to get things finished at the end of the day.' I have to write in a behaviour book each day for a child (and don't have a TA at this time) so I often put on Oxford Owl for five minutes - the children love to be the one to turn the page and they love the books. www.oxfordowl.co.uk.

3. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

I also use this timer - you can select different music (Avengers etc). http://classtools.net/education-games-php/timer

4. Thanks for the Oxford Owl tip, new website for me and I can see it becoming very useful.
    I often send messages home on a sticker as many of my children don't bring book bags or parents don't look in them everyday. I make sure it's the last thing we do though!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes I know this is an old thread and everyone is tired at this time of the year, but like post 176 from sparly1985
    . if this reorganisation somehow loses old threads this may be our last chance.
    THANK YOU to all who contributed.

6. I call the register by just saying good morning to the first child. They then answer by saying good morning to the next child on the register and so on. The last child says good morning to me and then I say it to the class as a whole. I know someone is missing when they don't call out the next greeting. It's really quick and a nice way for the class to greet each other.

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

That's really cute. I must be getting old, because I might just try it. (In September, when the Devil's Spawn have moved on.....)

8. Monika001

Monika001 New commenter

I have mini whitebaords and pens in ziplock bags of 5/6 so I can put them out on tables or hand them out along rows of children on the carpet. It's so much quicker to hand them out! Then my classroom monitors check that there are the right amount in each bag.

Thanks for the great ideas!

9. I can't say I'm a particularly organised person but there are SOME things I do which might be of help.

I never EVER collect stuff in. The children do it. I choose someone at random to collect in books, textbooks, sheets, whatever.

I have baskets in the middle of the table for things like word mats, whiteboards, pens, rulers, marking pencils, etc.

I keep all my guided reading books in zip-packets - so much easier. I plan to do the same with maths/english books at some point.

I very rarely do the normal register but rather just fill in the dinner register. I tend to just double mark the normal register when I use it after lunch.

I let children free-read probably more than I should in guided reading time, just so it's one less activity to set up. It's good for them right?

I like to mark as I go along, and children often peer mark. I still find myself marking them anyway, but in maths it saves all the ticking. I've also recently started using highlighters to save written comments, oh and stamps as well.

I never let a table go to lunch unless their table is spotless.

10. bigplantpot

bigplantpot New commenter

What if the fire bell goes?

11. gnomie_p

gnomie_p New commenter

Revisiting this thread has made me start thinking about next year already and the changes I would like to make to improve the running of my class!!
    There are so many great ideas on here but I particularly like the one about the children each having their own clear pencil case with a pen, pencil, rubber etc in it so that they are responsible for their own equipment. I have a monster that regularly comes into my Year 6 classroom and eats pencils, rubbers, rulers, whiteboard pens (sometimes a messy eater as I often find these things strewn across the floor) so there's rarely a day that goes by when someone doesn't come up to me to say they haven't got a pencil etc. Grr rant over, roll on next year when they sort themselves out!!!
    Keep the great ideas coming. Now, back to SATs prep...[​IMG]

12. The range sell lollipop sticks- very cheap!

I have coloured ones that are matched to my ability groups- great for when I'm being observed as I never pick a child who will have no chance of answering the question! But it still looks like its a random selection!

13. Just very organised! Takes a lot of time to set up but worth it. I have all books in the middle of the table with pencils rubber etc, on a Friday I get all my guided reading books for the week- and put them with all resources in clear zip wallets so all I have to do is grab the wallet.

I also have monitors for everything!! Kids give out letters during story time at the end of the day by putting them in trays. Parents and children also change their own reading books in a morning.

Have a homework tray at the front of the class so children can put it in at anytime during the week- saves me having to go through bags and chase it up.

14. This thread is great! Making me re-evaluate my time at school.

I also have monitors for all jobs who know (due to lots of training!) the time to go and do their job in the day. Now, the children don't need to ask me to do the job and more importantly I don't need to ask them! So at 3.10 I know the water bottle monitors will be emptying them and at 3.15 the pencils are being sharpened as the story teller for the week is telling the class a story. This is perhaps my favourite of all the children's jobs in my class. It saves me time reading a story at the end of the day and I can tick off one of the children who need to be heard to read that day. A chosen child sits at the front and reads a story as if they are the teacher. Which leaves time for me to fill in the various books and behaviour logs for children in my class.

15. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

Storyteller monitor sounds like a great idea! My art monitors will put newspaper, water pots, paint palettes on the tables, PE monitors will set up the equipment for the afternoon, book monitors give out and collect books without being asked. Tables are sent to break/lunch/home as and when their table is all packed away and spotless.

16. thought id bump this up for a new year

17. Wow! Thank you everyone for a brill thread! Will defo be implementing lots of these ideas in sept :)

18. ginawina

ginawina New commenter

While SOME of these ideas are great (and not exactly rocket science) I hate to be a party pooper but if you need to save time by making stickers with feedback on, not marking every child's book every day (when they have put so much time and effort into working to the best of their ability), getting the children to photocopy your resources and sharpening pencils when they've finished their work (?????!!!! what happened to creating work challenging enough that there isn't any spare time at the end of a lesson??????) then maybe you don't have the passion and drive and inclination to be a primary school teacher? I personally don't need time-saving tips unless it benefits the kids. I'm all for saving time here and there - well, more about redistributing my time to allow the opportunity for planning quality lessons - this isn't a job where cutting corners is a positive thing. Teaching isn't a job, it's a vocation.

19. SmileAndNod

SmileAndNod New commenter

Ginawina, I'm amazed that you don't need these tips, considering how much time you must spend polishing your halo...

20. ginawina

ginawina New commenter

Oh don't worry, I made a time-saving Halo-Polishing-Rota... the kids take it in turn to polish it when they've finished their work!