1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A technical question about display lettering!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by celebrity_gossip_fan, Sep 4, 2011.

1. I'm preparing a display and I want to have the title as individual chunky letters cut out of sugar paper.

I cannot for the life of me work out how to make the computer print them like that for me so I can use them as a template. Surely there must be a way?

Please can you help me? I'm sorry I'm such a luddite.

2. I'm preparing a display and I want to have the title as individual chunky letters cut out of sugar paper.

I cannot for the life of me work out how to make the computer print them like that for me so I can use them as a template. Surely there must be a way?

Please can you help me? I'm sorry I'm such a luddite.

3. use wordart

4. www.******.com has lettering sets
    www.tpet.co.uk has many lettering sets for different themes.
    Google display lettering and you will find many, even here in the resources section.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If you are using Word 2010 you can just type and use "text effects" on the tool bar but word art is probably just as easy

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I use these for almost all display lettering these days.

http://www.instantdisplay.co.uk/alphabetsets.htm

I also have some cardboard (old cereal boxes) cut out templates to trace round.

7. Use WordArt. I do a letter at a time. Have downloaded some really chunky fonts (like Hawaiian Punk, Jungle Fever, Foo) and print just the outline of them, then stick them on card and cut them out. If you want me to make it for you, message me!

8. I do the same with word art, but you have to be careful about sizing as if you do one letter then copy it and change the letter for the next letter, it sometimes stretches them.
    I also use the fill option to fill them with a picture or pattern from the internet relevant to my display, and make the outline really thick and black..then just print them and use them as they are without any need to use them as templates on other paper.

9. Use word art but in publisher not word. If you create a banner all letters will be in proportion but you can still cut them out individually.

10. Or use Word, go into the format font options (it varies where they've hid it depending on the version of Office you've got) and click the outline option... bam outlined letters which I guess is what you were trying to achieve.

11. You can print display lettering using the 2publish+ 2simple software
    http://www.2simple.com/2publishplus/
    Click the 'display' option then you can either print individual letters or banners (but I'm not keen on the banners as they are a bit basic and I can make these on microsoft publisher)
    Useful tips:
    1) Print them in colour so they can just be cut out rather than cutting them out, drawing round them on display paper and cutting them out again.
    2) If you print them in one colour on paper in a contrasting colour (which fits your display colours) and cut round the letters about 1cm from the edge of each letter you have 'double' lettering for minimal effort! I printed black letters on orange paper so my black letters, as my backing paper was black
    I hope that helps
    Chuckles

12. You can also print display lettering using the 2publish+ 2simple software
    http://www.2simple.com/2publishplus/
    Click the 'display' option then you can either print individual letters or banners (but I'm not keen on the banners as they are a bit basic and I can make these on microsoft publisher)
    Useful tips:
    1) Print your letters in colour so they can just be cut out rather than cutting them out, drawing round them on display paper and cutting them out again.
    2) Print them in one colour on paper in a contrasting colour (which fits your display colours) and cut round the letters about 1cm from the edge of each letter you have 'double' lettering for minimal effort! I printed black letters on orange paper so my black letters stood out as my backing paper was black
    I hope that helps
    Chuckles
    (edit of original post failed for some reason)

13. I once did Elmer patchwork lettering by making a background on Publisher of a bunch of different coloured filled rectangles, then printing letters over the top in an outline font and cutting them out. Had to laugh when I heard two of the Y1 kids comment, in a way you normally only hear from fully grown women walking around wallpaper shops, "oooh she's done the letters all nice and like Elmer - I like that."
    Or get lots of fonts with things like letters in stars, pawprints, christmas light bulbs so you can print and just cut out the actual outside of the shapes and save yourself all the fiddly middle bits of a, o, b etc! Whole world of free over the top fonts perfect for display work out there! Sorry - bit of a font anorak!

14. You guys are amazeballs.

I am -as ever- in awe of Primary teachers. How do you know this stuff?

Thank you! My display (A Doll's House for VI form!) looks ACE.

15. I cheat and have a silhoutte SD machine (best thing ever!) it cuts out lettering :D

16. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

'cos it's one of the things Primary (and especially Foundation/Early Years) teachers have to give very particular attention to.
    It's somehow very refreshing to see genuine respect for colleagues so readily and sincerely expressed, very cheering celbrity_fan, nearly helps me forget England's appalling performance against Argentina this morning (but not entirely!!)