1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Teacher Overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by retiredcodger, Mar 21, 2012.

1. I have to say that I have always been a little intrigued and amused by
    these forums having been a quiet reader of them over the last few years.

However I am now quite tired if those usual complainers and
    cynical whiners who lie and mock and disparage those who, surely, these
    forums should be helping and championing. Yes I could just turn over
    and give it up to those who bully, sneer and name call but today, not.

I
    was genuinely intrigued by this latest thread about A Teacher Overseas
    manly because my daughter is one and she is forever going on about all
    the issues raised in this book. Having listened to her
    over the last two years I bought it. I would say this little publication should serve as a
    salutary lesson to anyone thinking of practising teaching abroad.
    Furthermore I don't think it would be a bad thing to be given to all parents who are
    considering educating their children in any expatriate community.

Whilst
    much of what this book says seems quite tongue in cheek I believe the
    author had a serious message which should be heeded by anyone involved
    with international schools, most particularly those who appoint
    Headmasters, be they governors or school owners.

I would be very keen to know if there is any other
    publication out there which times close to informing teachers and
    parents what education is really like in international schools.

Personally I applaud the honest and straightforward manner in which this book is presented. Especially in its epilogue.

2. I have to say that I have always been a little intrigued and amused by
    these forums having been a quiet reader of them over the last few years.

However I am now quite tired if those usual complainers and
    cynical whiners who lie and mock and disparage those who, surely, these
    forums should be helping and championing. Yes I could just turn over
    and give it up to those who bully, sneer and name call but today, not.

I
    was genuinely intrigued by this latest thread about A Teacher Overseas
    manly because my daughter is one and she is forever going on about all
    the issues raised in this book. Having listened to her
    over the last two years I bought it. I would say this little publication should serve as a
    salutary lesson to anyone thinking of practising teaching abroad.
    Furthermore I don't think it would be a bad thing to be given to all parents who are
    considering educating their children in any expatriate community.

Whilst
    much of what this book says seems quite tongue in cheek I believe the
    author had a serious message which should be heeded by anyone involved
    with international schools, most particularly those who appoint
    Headmasters, be they governors or school owners.

I would be very keen to know if there is any other
    publication out there which times close to informing teachers and
    parents what education is really like in international schools.

Personally I applaud the honest and straightforward manner in which this book is presented. Especially in its epilogue.

3. I find it especially intriguing that you've signed on to TES just to praise the book. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you like.
    I have no notion how good or not the book is. What I do know is that spamming under assumed identities is not the way to get me interested. A more "honest and straightforward manner" would be vastly preferable.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I hope that am not one of the "usual complainers and cynical whiners who lie and mock and disparage". I do devote quite a lot of my time (too much, according to Mrs Hippo) to replying to PMs and e-mails from other teachers who want my help and advice.
    As for this book, what is it called and what is it supposed to be about? Perhaps I am just a slow-witted old hippopotamus, but I think that this forum ought to be about international education, not about the merits or the demerits of some silly book. Maybe some people think that this book is great, in which case they should order more copies from Amazon and give them to their friends. On the other hand, perhaps it is rubbish and I do not have time to read it anyway.

6. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Two questions:
    Is it a fiction book?
    Is there going to be a TV drama?
    Sorry one more:
    Can I play the lead role?

7. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

No, Gulfgolf's the conspiracy theorist. I have you down as the Cynical Weinihao. Now, for a full set, we need:
    A Complainer
    A Mocker (but see below)
    A Disparager
    A Bully
    A Sneerer and...
    A Name Caller
    I'd volunteer for the Name Caller but I'm already signed up as a Mocker.
    BTW: I'm all for 'Honest and Straightforward' (Wasn't that how Roy Rogers described Trigger?) so I take great, nay blatant, pleasure in drawing your attention to my forthcoming title 'No Baboons in India' which is at least as authentic a picture of overseas teaching as the tome touted by 'Retired Codger' and a lot funnier.
    http://johnsharrocktaylor.webs.com/nobaboonsinindia.htm

8. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

You forgot to include the Idle Chatterbox, so here I come.
    As last night's excruciating board meeting entered its third hour and a glance at the sleek i-phone revealed that Chelsea had returned to losing ways, I knew that the gods who watch over SMT eejits would offer me something by way of recompense, and there it was, this morning in the form of the codger's post.
    Like a Shakespeare sonnet it offers fresh pleasures on each new reading, but the highlight has to be the 'daughter' who is 'forever going on'.
    My own daughter, who also goes on forever but in different vein, is clearly in need of what we all now call 'safeguarding', so this morning I woke her early,
    "Dudinha, my precious, I know that you have recently celebrated your 16th birthday and stand poised on the threshold of joyful independent adulthood. But there are still many many dangers in this wicked world of ours, and I would like you to read this book, which is all about young people who are innocent and trusting and fall into the snare of something called International Education. Please read it today, and most especially the epilogue, at the back of your Chemistry lesson, and this evening if you have any questions your mother and I will do our best."

9. If I called the author TheoGriff, could I be the name caller?
    oh, no wait, that would be the Flatterer... that wasn't in the list...

does this post get me Sneerer at least? there are no small parts, only small actors.

10. Mainwaring

I'm afraid not, Penny. Only the Barker-Up-The-Wrong-Olive-Tree. Theo is indeed a mate of mine and has visited us at Cortijo del Rector as we have visited him in his penthouse apartment on the Costa Paqueta but he ain't me and I ain't he. Honest ***.

11. Mainwaring

I tried to write Honest Indian, but no dice. Wait till I tell my Almost-Daughter!

12. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Since we seem to be advertising:
    Available now by mail order, yours for only $89.99 the incredible fat busting, bone strengthening kalahari eco-coral. Yes, millions of years of San knowledge has been tapped into by our world famous anthropolological nutritionist Dr H. O. Akum (PhD) to design a pill that will both reduce your waistline, AND strengthen those brittle bones. Dr Akum's patented formula uses ancient seabed corals high in vitamins and minerals, found beneath the Kalahari sands. Just listen to what our customers said.....
    ''Fore Aah took that there ka...ka...ka...coral stuff, I suffered plenty with my bones supportin' mah weight. Now, just fifty weeks later I's lost close on ten pounds and ain't broken no ankle recent like' Miss F A T T Bumbum
    Miss Bumbum lost an incredible 9 pounds just by taking Dr H.O.Akum's supplement for a year. During that time, she also managed to get off her bed for the first time in ten years.
    SO, post now and receive your kalahari eco-coral by return post. But wait, if you buy the supplement now, we'll also throw in the book 'How to walk to KFC you lazy fat ***' as well.
    Terms and Conditions apply, can help weight loss only as part of a calorie controlled diet, regular exercise is recommended by your doctor, please consult your nutritionist before taking any dietary supplements. May cause nausea and/or bleeding from bodily orifices.

13. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

[​IMG]

14. Oh good. My Religious Studies teacher (the oft wayward brother he seemed) told me that Jesus was a cynic.
    But then again, look where it got him.

15. Mainwaring

If a cynic can be defined as 'somebody who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing' it doesn't fit Jesus. You may have misheard your teacher. He probably said 'comic'. I often wonder why so few readers pick up on Jesus's humour and black irony, for instance his advice to a crook to falsify the accounts and make his pile on earth (because, by implication, there's no loot to be had where he's obviously heading).

16. They absolutely didn't give me that version of the Bible in Catholic school. There again, there wasn't much humor to be found there, either.

17. You see, I'm just no good at Flatterer. I don't think Our Author would even get the blatant-and-credible-to-no-one-else flattery and I may have taken the teasing a bit too far to the undeserving TheoGriff, who I would bet a kidney, without even doing a forum search first, has never once uttered the word "******". Though if he ever did, I'm absolutely certain he would have had more stylistic sense than to use it in the same sentence with vacuous. Sarcastic was the closest I could get to Sneerer, but I'm sure I could try harder to be more Sneerly, if given some good advice and a second chance. But I just have no talent to be The Flatterer.

18. I am Robin Lovell and I apologise, de trop.
    Style? Flattery? Conspiracy? Sarcastic? Sneerly emetic...(almost pun-ny).
    And as for 'hatchet job', whom have I decapitated?
    This forum is most certainly flatulent, de trop.
    On ****** purpose.
    Gits live! Sorry, get lives!
    Spartacus

19. Oh dear.
    You've had it, mate! At best, you'll be ignored.
    I hope your royalties are looking good. If so, at least you will have the last laugh. And may it be the longest.
    Enjoy. [​IMG]

20. Mainwaring

If they <u>were</u> looking promising they've taken a dive after Post 17. Despite the clumsy hard sell I was actually going to buy this masterwork but have now realised that my charitable impulse was de trop. Yes, that's not an adverb but an adjectival phrase qualifying a noun. Try to get these little details right, young Robin. You may want to write another <strike>review</strike> (Oops!) book.