1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A survey: following the heated debate about pregnancy timing, what would you do if...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by becky70, May 18, 2011.

1. ...you didn't have a permanent post? Imagine you were on supply or you had a fixed term contract of a year which may or may not be renewed. Therefore considerably less maternity pay and no right to return to work.
    1) Would you still try for a baby or try to get a permanent post first?
    2) If you became pregnant how much maternity leave would you take?
    3) What would you do about returning to work - apply for teaching posts, do supply, look for a non- teaching job, start your own business, not return and become a full time mum etc?
    Of course, there may be no imagine about it for some of you but most people on that thread seemed to have a permanent post.

2. ...you didn't have a permanent post? Imagine you were on supply or you had a fixed term contract of a year which may or may not be renewed. Therefore considerably less maternity pay and no right to return to work.
    1) Would you still try for a baby or try to get a permanent post first?
    2) If you became pregnant how much maternity leave would you take?
    3) What would you do about returning to work - apply for teaching posts, do supply, look for a non- teaching job, start your own business, not return and become a full time mum etc?
    Of course, there may be no imagine about it for some of you but most people on that thread seemed to have a permanent post.

3. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I would have kept trying whatever happened. I was lucky enough to secure a permanent post as an NQT and am still at that school- vaguely looked around for other jobs but stayed put. To be honest I knew from the start that I wanted a family within 5 years and started ttc in my 3rd year. It took 11 months and I'm going back 2 days a week when LO is 9 months old- she is going to nursery very close to my school. My husband earns a good wage so we could just about to survive on his salary alone, but if this wasn't the case we would probably have waited longer as I couldn't manage full time + baby, I admire anyone who does this! It depends on lots of things- but I never wanted to wait too long to start a family, we were 25 when we started ttc and that's just as well as it took a while due to various problems. (I'm acutely aware that some people wait much longer to become pregnant and we were lucky not to have to resort to fertility treatment, in fact we were about to start clomid when I fell pregnant naturally against the odds). You never know how long it will take before you start and we feel very blessed to have our daughter- I think we would manage whatever the financial situation.

4. I have been trying for many years and last year in the new year Idid a stint of supply for about 3 months - we kept actively trying throughout. As it happened, I was offered a perm. position at one of my supply schools but before I accepted, I made it VERY clear to my head that I was going through fertility treatment and was likely to fall pregnant - I gave her an out but she was adament that she wanted to keep me. As I wen through my IVF, she championed my treatment and was an absolute rock, even giving me a week off after transfer.
    So, to sum it up, it would not have made a jot of difference to us. Trying would never have been put on hold to accomodate my job. Life first, job second xx

5. I would keep trying- a baby is more important (to me) than a job or career though it depends on financial positions. I did a little bit of private tuition recently so would try and build this up

6. Becky - so sorry it didn't work :( Life can be so cruel. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of how lucky and blessed we are but I also remember that we struggled for 5years to get to this stage. I hope you get your BFP soon hun xxxxxx

7. Thank you. So glad you got there in the end. We'll have another go before too much longer, I think xx