1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A supply teacher called this another TA as a joke but is it offensive, never heard this word before?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Spice0012, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

Hi everyone we had a supply Teacher in today and in a jokely humour manner she called the nursery TA a G O N K as she thought it was thursday and was getting the children ready for PE. Is that word offensive as I have never heard it before?
    Both myself and the reception TA looked shocked she commented she'd used that word in interviews to describe herself as it meant dippy?
    Just wondering because not sure if it is appropriate language around children or infront of headteacher in an interview?

2. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

Hi everyone we had a supply Teacher in today and in a jokely humour manner she called the nursery TA a G O N K as she thought it was thursday and was getting the children ready for PE. Is that word offensive as I have never heard it before?
    Both myself and the reception TA looked shocked she commented she'd used that word in interviews to describe herself as it meant dippy?
    Just wondering because not sure if it is appropriate language around children or infront of headteacher in an interview?

3. Well... in the seventies a gonk was a furry creature with stick on wobbly eyes. Not exactly high art - but generally thought of as inoffensive.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Given I wouldn't call a TA dippy in front of the children, I'd not call them a gonk either. But nor would I make a fuss if someone else did in a jokey way and the TA was fine about it.

I refer to myself in all kinds of ways in front of the children, but self depreciation is different. Not sure I'd call myself dippy or a gonk in an interview, just because I'd not want a prospective HT to think of me as such!

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I used to have a purple gonk ....

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

8. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

He's kind of cute!
    No the TA wasn't offended because she is a little crazy but thats what makes her as wonderful as she is! However neither of us knew what gonks were.

9. Perhaps you should point out that this may be the reason she hasn't been getting a job!

10. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

Sad, I know, but I used to knit my own gonks!![​IMG]

11. I've never heard that word either. [​IMG] Why'd ya look shocked if you'd never heard it before?
    Offensiveness always depends on who says it, to whom and how. My friends call me *** all the time and it's a term of endearment. If my boss said it, I'd be contacting my union.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've a feeling this could be the problem here. I call my friends things that I'd be sacked for if I said them to colleagues, especially in front of children.

Supply teachers need to be even more careful. And interviewees even more so!

13. Haven't hear that word in years. I had a purple gonk too. Gonks were great.

If I did something silly and was called a gonk I wouldn't be in the least bit offended.

Relax it's harmless.

14. It really depends on the spirit in which it was said and used. You can get away with much worse things if you use a jokey tone, and are open to being the butt of a good-humoured joke yourself. She sounds like a jolly, relaxed supply teacher. I hope she is funny and warm with the children too. Maybe it's a bit crazy of her to say it at an interview though. They tend to be pretty humourless events.

15. I'd try and sue the supply for every penny she’s
    worth for stress and trauma. It's should be illegal to make any offensive
    remark in today’s day and age. I called a child a silly sausage once! Little
    did I know that I later on I found out that I offended that child. Never again!
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>