1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A success story, just to cheer everyone up

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by VelvetChalk, Jan 5, 2011.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Hello, I have been on this forum a lot when my NQT hubby was having serious problems in his induction. Thankfully he passed so Im just sharing what he went through and what he did so it might help some people out. He got a job in a Primary school and started in September 2009, he had an excellent first term and passed. He assumed all was well as he was finishing his second term but was told out of the blue he had behaviour management issues and was to fail his second term. Now heres the thing, he was never told his management was under question or given any help in improving it. In fact his mentor had been as much help as a chocolate teapot with only observing him once a term and not doing ANYTHING else, shed been neglecting him and he not received the help and guidance he needed. Anyway, he was told that he could resign at half term for the final term or risk passing/failing entirely. He got his union in (NASWUT, VERY GOOD UNION!) and they secured an extra term for his nqt year the next academic year (due to a **** mentor who was removed from his side when this was passed). He had a new class, a new term and had an excellent mentor and firm but good support from his head. During his time he kept evidence of his progress and his mentors neglect (she may now be under threat as she was senior management, im not sure).He passed his induction at Christmas! He was determined and assertive ASAP it what he needed and what had happened to him and his head gave him lots of support (external and internal) when she realised. I hope this a story of NQTs can prevail when things get tough, I can only hope I have a good NQT year when mine starts. Thanks to James for all his help and good luck everybody. :)

2. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Hello, I have been on this forum a lot when my NQT hubby was having serious problems in his induction. Thankfully he passed so Im just sharing what he went through and what he did so it might help some people out. He got a job in a Primary school and started in September 2009, he had an excellent first term and passed. He assumed all was well as he was finishing his second term but was told out of the blue he had behaviour management issues and was to fail his second term. Now heres the thing, he was never told his management was under question or given any help in improving it. In fact his mentor had been as much help as a chocolate teapot with only observing him once a term and not doing ANYTHING else, shed been neglecting him and he not received the help and guidance he needed. Anyway, he was told that he could resign at half term for the final term or risk passing/failing entirely. He got his union in (NASWUT, VERY GOOD UNION!) and they secured an extra term for his nqt year the next academic year (due to a **** mentor who was removed from his side when this was passed). He had a new class, a new term and had an excellent mentor and firm but good support from his head. During his time he kept evidence of his progress and his mentors neglect (she may now be under threat as she was senior management, im not sure).He passed his induction at Christmas! He was determined and assertive ASAP it what he needed and what had happened to him and his head gave him lots of support (external and internal) when she realised. I hope this a story of NQTs can prevail when things get tough, I can only hope I have a good NQT year when mine starts. Thanks to James for all his help and good luck everybody. :)

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Lovely to hear. May his career be a long and happy one x

4. Hi
    I recall your previous posts and well done to Hubby, iunduction is not a process that is just done to NQTs by others - there needs to be a recognition that it is a team effort to get through and mentors, heads and LAs all have a part to play.
    Glad my help and advice was useful.
    James